B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Fuel pump upgrade 1.8T AEB

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 10:08 AM
2nd Gear
Default Fuel pump upgrade 1.8T AEB

It looks like (and actually hoping) that I will be running out of fuel pump capacity (hopefully, because it means I am making decent power beyond what the stock pump can sustain).

a) what is the practical cHP limit for the stock 1.8T AEB fuel pump?
b) what are the specifications for the stock pump (flow diagram, part number)?
c) what is the best practical (cost, complexity) upgrade for 350 cHP power goal?
d) for c), any good DIY write ups?

Thanks.

Old 03-26-2013, 11:15 AM

I've "heard" the stock pump is good for up to 300awhp, which would suit your goal. However, if it's the original pump for your car then it wouldn't be a bad idea to replace it anyways.

I bought the Deutchwerks 300LPH fuel pump from here, DIY version:
Fourtitude.com - Fueling Solutions: pumps, injectors, tunes, meth, and of course awesome deals!!!!!!

This pump is very quiet, in fact it makes less noise than my stock pump did!
It is smaller than my stock pump, so I got a little creative with the foam that is included with the pump. I fitted it into the stock basket but am using the included filter sock.

These are good write-ups:
:: a4mods.com :: - The Premiere Audi A4 Modification Guide and Pictures Library
AudiWorld Tech Articles
Pelican Technical Article: Audi - Fuel Pump Replacement
But your pump may be located under the trunk (and accessed through the trunk floor). This location can be challenging especially if you're a bigger guy (I'm 6' 3", <190lbs), but is manageable if you are patient.
Also this is good general information:
Replacing fuel pump, need the DIY link, searched and can't find it.

As for the best "value", it depends on your criteria. There's the Walbro 255LPH pump that a lot of people like to use because it costs something like $100 (it's cheap). BUT I've heard these like to fail and they are known to be pretty noisy. I went with a pump that is quiet and I haven't read about having a history of failing. Also I think it may work with E85 fuel lol.

Old 03-26-2013, 11:26 AM
2nd Gear

MetalMan: I put the Deatsch in my Allroad; GREAT pump (flow (better than 044), noise); was a BITCH to install (no 'ready to use' kit for my Allroad; not sure if they make one that fits the 1.8T AEB better).

Selected the pump based on flow comparison and power goal (Walbro NOT even close needed 600 cHP capacity, particularly at high pressure (think 43.5 psi nominal, add 30 psi boost = flow at 75 psi; may even want to run my EV14 at 5 psi, heard they are working even better at the higher pressure).

For the 1.8T AEB, I am looking for an easy and inexpansive upgrade beyond the stock capacity, but not hot a crappy noisemaker (or lack of holding fuel pressure; went through this dilemma on another car, resulting in TONS of cranking time particularly when tank down to 1/4).

Old 03-26-2013, 11:30 AM
2nd Gear
Default 2.7T drop into 1.8T AEB

Just thinking: I replace my stock 2.7T (2002 Allroad) stock with the Deatsch 300, and have the stock pump sitting here.

Would that fit into the 1.8T AEB?

Old 03-26-2013, 12:49 PM
4th Gear

For what you need a Walbro pump is plenty. I ran one when I first had the GT35r and had no issues with the car starting.

The 044 is still the best pump on the market since it has less flow drop as pressure rises and out flows all of the pumps when running high boost or a high base fuel pressure. I was able to make nearly 600whp on race gas with a single 044 pump. The 044 doesn't need to be wired up with a relay and power directly to the battery like some of the newer 300-400lph pumps being made now. Also most of those new pumps are all the same made by the same manufacture using the 255 Walbro housing with upgraded internals. I can actually buy them with no name on them right from the supplier and the ones I get actually have serial numbers on them. lol

Last edited by Mike-2ptzero; 03-26-2013 at 12:52 PM.
Old 03-26-2013, 01:17 PM
2nd Gear

Mike, thanks for the input. If pressure holding with the Walbro becomes an issue, should be possible to put an inline check valve in (normally part of the pump itself).

044: no question, great pump and royal price.

IMO: no question that the Deatsch beats the 044 in the performance/price category.

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/f...flowchart1.jpg

http://i853.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps2dc90cd2.jpg

Name:  FuelPumpflowchart1_zps4b39ea18.jpg
Views: 3373
Size:  28.3 KB

Old 03-27-2013, 04:14 AM
Legal Moderator

best pratical pump upgrade for you is the walbro. i run the gss340 that i got from pagparts. it came with an install kit, but it was ****. the foam didnt fit the basket, didnt come with a sock. i wasnt happy with the kit. if you want the cleanest solution, i believe the only way to go is the atp aluminum adapter which fits in where the stock basket does. obvioudly more expensive, but better than the rings around my fuel pump im running. o yeah, since my pump didnt come with a sock, i ran down to oreillys and told them to find me one that fit. i jammed some chevy sock on my pump and im pretty sure its still on there. and just for a note, i cant hear hear my pump run at all

Old 03-27-2013, 08:21 AM
2nd Gear

How easy is the Walbro intank GSS342 to install?

Anyone know if the 2.7T pump fits (either into the 1.8T basket or installing the whole 2.7T basket)?

Installing the Deatsch was a bitch (rubber rings needed as 'spacers' to hold the pump on the basket, no sock that fit (had to make ghetto adapter), PITA to remount and find the correct orientation, etc.).

Easier than adding an inline pump and surge tank?

http://www.usrallyteam.com/content/p...nk_circuit.gif

Old 03-27-2013, 08:48 AM
2nd Gear

How easy is the Walbro intank GSS342 to install?

Anyone know if the 2.7T pump fits (either into the 1.8T basket or installing the whole 2.7T basket)?

Installing the Deatsch was a bitch (rubber rings needed as 'spacers' to hold the pump on the basket, no sock that fit (had to make ghetto adapter), PITA to remount and find the correct orientation, etc.).

Easier than adding an inline pump and surge tank?

http://www.usrallyteam.com/content/p...nk_circuit.gif

Old 03-27-2013, 05:41 PM
4th Gear

The walbro fits in the A4 basket, it is smaller then the stock pump so using a sleeve will make it fit tighter.

Quick Reply: Fuel pump upgrade 1.8T AEB