B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Fuel leaking under FPR

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 09:00 AM
1st Gear
Default Fuel leaking under FPR

Hi all,

I just finished replacing my pcv valve, turned the car on and noticed fuel dripping out pretty heavily from the end of the fuel rail, underneath the FPR.

I'm afraid to turn the car on to diagnose it, does anyone have any idea what this might be?

I have smelled gas for a few months.. but it seems like the car would have blown up by now if this much gas has been leaking out.

The fuel lines seem intact, and fuel pressure is steady at 62psi (it has been at this pressure for over a year, even though I have a 5bar FPR installed for my k04)

How safe would it be to drive it to a shop to have it diagnosed? How difficult is it to install a new fuel rail?

Thanks so much.

Old 11-01-2012, 10:51 AM

5bar is 72.5psi. The 62psi you're seeing I'm assuming is at idle, with the vacuum line attached to the FPR. Normal vacuum is 20inHg, which is about 9.8psi. So 62+9.8=71.8psi which is pretty darn close to 5bar. To verify: remove the vacuum line from the FPR (keep it pinched) and then look at your fuel pressure gauge.

There's an O-ring at the bottom of the FPR which might be in need of replacement.

Old 11-01-2012, 11:46 AM
Legal Moderator

what i would do is have a buddy turn the ignition on so the fuel pump primes and watch for the source of the leak. it really could be leaking anyone and just riding the rail all the way down to the bottom of the fpr. id check all the injector o rings and of course the fpr. on a side note, i developed two massive fuel leaks, one from a torn o ring and one from the fuel line breaking. i got very paranoid and now have a fire extinguisher in my car

Old 11-01-2012, 12:51 PM
Tech Certified

I wouldn't drive it with a fuel leak. Just my opinion. But you can run it for short periods of time 1-2 minutes while you look for where its coming from. Keep a fire ext nearby for safety

Old 11-02-2012, 01:30 AM
1st Gear

It looks like the 4th injector has some fuel around it, but the FPR itself has fuel on it, too. I checked the O-ring under the FPR, and it looks fine.

If it's the injector, I don't really see how the FPR could have fuel on it, because it's up higher than anything else on the fuel rail. Maybe if the injector is blocked, the FPR could leak??

I'm worried that I may have leaned on the fuel rail while doing other work. Is it possible that I may have broken an injector or something? I'm not a heavy guy, and it looks pretty solid..

Does anybody know how I would check the area of the 4th injector to find the problem?

Thanks very much, can't say how much I appreciate you guys for helping.

Old 11-02-2012, 07:48 AM
1st Gear

I'm looking at aftermarket fuel rails, and none of them have the spot that the FPR connects to on the end.

What am I not understanding? Can anyone point me to one they recommend?

Old 11-02-2012, 10:43 AM

They often leave the option for aftermarket (non-stock-fitment) AFPRs with aftermarket rails. But sometimes they give the option for installation of a stock-fitement FPR:
Adapter - 1.8T Fuel Rail - Stock FPR - 034Motorsport | Performance Parts for Audi, Porsche, and Volkswagen

For this rail:
Fuel Rail, 1.8T, Billet Aluminum

Old 11-03-2012, 08:01 AM
1st Gear

Those aftermarket ones look cool, but would you recommend against buying a used stock one on ebay for $25?

Old 11-03-2012, 01:52 PM

Used stock fuel rail? As long as it isn't damaged I don't see the harm.

Old 11-04-2012, 01:53 AM
1st Gear

thanks, metalman.

I removed the fuel rail, injectors, and fpr today to inspect them and I can't figure out where the leak is coming from. The O-rings on all seem fine. If an injector was not spraying or was clogged, would there be a major fuel leak?

I don't really know what to look for on the injectors, I just know they look normal. What else can I check?

Quick Reply: Fuel leaking under FPR