B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Front Strut Removal

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 03:58 PM
1st Gear
Default Front Strut Removal

I'm trying to replace my front springs and struts but I'm having problems getting the strut out. The first write-up I read said to remove the pinch bolt holding the upper controls arms. My pinch bolt is seized and I don't think I could get it out without breaking the bolt or something else. So I read another write-up that said if your pinch bolt was seized to leave it and instead remove the bolt in the lower front control arm. Which should allow the front lower control arm to swing down so you can get the strut out. It said to remove the pivot bolt where the arm attaches to the car. I can't get mine to come all the way out. I read about how to replace your control arms and every one says something like "this step is easy and shouldn't take long" when it refers to removing that bolt. The Haynes manual says that the hole the bolt goes through on the frame is threaded which seems to be true because I can loosen and tighten the bolt and it will move in and out of the hole it goes through. The problem is I loosen the bolt as far as I can and it still isn't all the way out of the control arm. I am running into part of the frame of the car so I can't get a wrench on it any longer and it is too tight to move by hand. Any ideas? Should I leave the bolt alone and go another route? Here's a picture of what I'm talking about.

Name:  IMAG0468.jpg
Views: 3029
Size:  77.1 KB

Old 07-25-2012, 05:17 PM
2nd Gear

You don't need to remove the pinch bolt or control arm to remove the spring/strut.

If you look in the engine bay near the false firewall, there are two body plugs. They will be painted and glued in. Pull them out with some needle nose and a screw driver. Under them you will find a couple of 13mm nuts. Access is tight with the AC lines on the passenger side and brake lines on the driver side, but can be done. I use a short 1/4 drive socket and extension.

In the wheel well, remove the sway bar link that goes to the front lower control arm (16mm) and the bolt that holds the strut to the same control arm (18mm). Then push down on the wheel hub and hold the strut up to clear the control arm. Then lower the strut.

Old 07-25-2012, 05:30 PM
1st Gear

I have already loosened the two upper strut bolts and have the sway bar disconnected from the control arm. I hadn't even thought of trying to push down on the hub. I'll have to give that a try. I finally found a youtube video for replacing the front lower control arm on an A6. In the video, the bolt just slid right out with a little help from a pry bar. I guess mine must be a little stuck.

Old 07-25-2012, 05:47 PM
2nd Gear

I've had mine apart a couple of times and never had to undo a control arm or the pinch bolt. Once the bolts are out, the only thing holding the hub up is a little bit of spring tension in the rubber bushings. Good luck.

Old 07-25-2012, 08:19 PM
1st Gear

here man... refer to this...

VVVVVVVVVV

AudiWorld Tech Articles

^^^^^^^^^

Old 07-25-2012, 08:21 PM
2nd Gear

^ That writeup involves removing the pinch bolt, which the OP is trying to avoid and is unnecessary.

Old 07-26-2012, 02:14 AM
1st Gear

I know what ur dealing with I had the same problem it just take some persistence and working with a open wench it was a pain in the *** though when it got that far out and I couldn't get it to turn anymore I just wrapped my hand in a shirt and turned as hard as I could! Also jack it up right there at that point too it helped me out. But not a whole bunch just enough do that the weight is off that bolt

Old 07-26-2012, 09:13 AM
1st Gear

Did you get it? Pushing down on the hub should work to get it out of the way. If you disconnect the sway bar end link you may be able to wiggle the lower CA enough to get the bolt out. I can't really remember having to go through all that though.

My pinch bolt comes out really easy so I just pull that off and everything comes out easily. I think everyone should take their car to a shop and have them take care of the seized pinchbolt, put in a new one with anti-seize, and check on it once and a while to make sure it doesn't seize up again.

Old 07-26-2012, 03:00 PM
1st Gear

I ended up getting it. I tried pushing down on the hub with all of the control arms connected. It gave me enough room to get the strut out but I couldn't get the bolt at the bottom of the strut to come out all of the way. It hit the rear lower control arm. I wiggled the strut and control arm what little I could and couldn't find a way to get it out. So I went back to the pivot bolt on the front lower control arm. I threaded it in far enough to pry on the head with a screwdriver. It took a little bit of muscle but it finally slid out a little. After that it seemed to come out a lot easier. Used the screwdriver a couple more times and it slid right out. The bolt is so long that it has to go into a hole in the frame to get it out far enough to remove it from the control arm. After that, a couple light taps on the control arm and it came out of the pivot mount. From there it was really easy to get the strut out. I took some advice from one of the forums and flipped the lower strut bolt when I put it back in so the nut is now facing the rear lower control arm. I definitely think removing the strut this way is the way to go. I wouldn't touch that pinch bolt if you can avoid it. And if you don't have to remove the lower control arm, that's even better. Thanks for the advice. In all of my searching for an answer, I did find what seems to be a great way to remove a seized pinch bolt in case anyone would find it helpful. It's for a Passat but they're pretty much the same car. It's posted here. And as Ian said, when you put in a new one cover it in anti-seize.

Old 07-27-2012, 08:46 PM
1st Gear

glad to hear u got it..

Quick Reply: Front Strut Removal