B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Front Mount Or Dual

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 11:17 PM
2nd Gear
Default Front Mount Or Dual

I know that the front mount is the best way to go, but I have been introduced to a great deal. My buddy has a b6 a4 that came(what he said) with a dual side mount setup. He has now upgraded to a front mount. They guy he bought it from had the mtm stage 3, so I would say it is a good kit.Do you all have any information on why he said it came with it and should I do it. Will it fit?
200 for everything (they are larger then the stock SMIC I am running now). He will even install for me.
What do you all think?
Thank!

Old 09-12-2009, 12:14 AM
4th Gear

well if it fits... then why not? if its bigger and there is 2 compared to your one.. then i say go for it... but i dont own a 1.8t so im not sure bout this.. im jsut saying based on what u have and what he says he has it seems like an upgrade to me lol

Old 09-12-2009, 03:32 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by AudiTurbo
I know that the front mount is the best way to go, but I have been introduced to a great deal. My buddy has a b6 a4 that came(what he said) with a dual side mount setup. He has now upgraded to a front mount. They guy he bought it from had the mtm stage 3, so I would say it is a good kit.Do you all have any information on why he said it came with it and should I do it. Will it fit?
200 for everything (they are larger then the stock SMIC I am running now). He will even install for me.
What do you all think?
Thank!
FMIC is still the best way to go with B5 1.8T. BoostFactory's and Forge's large SMIC proved this as there is simply not enough airflow in there to bring down IATs to efficient levels.

2 SMIC won't fit. It's been discussed here before. Nothing from a B6's induction will fit B5, which is why there is a new FMIC in the works for B5 A4 bumpers so we don't have to drop 8-hundos on a Racetech that's never in stock.

Adding another poor-flowing SMIC will only increase pressure drop. It's all about keeping heat down and pressure up.

Save your money. It wont fit, and if it does for some reason, it will likely hurt performance. Save for a FMIC... there's one on the way to fit stock B5 A4 bumpers. Trust me.

Old 09-12-2009, 08:47 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Tweaked
FMIC is still the best way to go with B5 1.8T. BoostFactory's and Forge's large SMIC proved this as there is simply not enough airflow in there to bring down IATs to efficient levels.

2 SMIC won't fit. It's been discussed here before. Nothing from a B6's induction will fit B5, which is why there is a new FMIC in the works for B5 A4 bumpers so we don't have to drop 8-hundos on a Racetech that's never in stock.

Adding another poor-flowing SMIC will only increase pressure drop. It's all about keeping heat down and pressure up.

Save your money. It wont fit, and if it does for some reason, it will likely hurt performance. Save for a FMIC... there's one on the way to fit stock B5 A4 bumpers. Trust me.
Thank you for the information. The inter-coolers are not stock, so I wouldn't say they flow poorly. I will see soon when I'm able to test fit it.
I feel like I'm going to have to spend about 600 to get a nice Fmic.
Guess I'll have to look around

Old 09-12-2009, 02:09 PM
4th Gear

buy an ebay fmic and get custom piping.. hell... find someone with an evo or srt-4 and ask if they upgraded yet and buy their stock fmic... that should work... prolly be cheaper too

Old 09-12-2009, 06:04 PM
2nd Gear

I don't want a srt 4, or evo intercooler. I look at this kit and see if it works first

Old 09-12-2009, 06:05 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Mr. Phil
buy an ebay fmic and get custom piping.. hell... find someone with an evo or srt-4 and ask if they upgraded yet and buy their stock fmic... that should work... prolly be cheaper too
Small EBay cores aren't effective enough to bring down IATs, but they're cheap. You have to buy a larger core if going EBay, which often requires hacking up the bumper and losing your fogs.

You also can't just trhow an IC from another car in. Gotta think this out a little. If it was that easy, we'd all have sub 40 deg F IATs.

Old 09-12-2009, 06:11 PM
4th Gear

i put an evo intercooler in my 240sx just had to do custom piping and it works great... i was pushing a lil over 340 to the wheel and it stayed cool all the time

Old 09-12-2009, 06:15 PM
3rd Gear

This is not a 240SX. This is an A4, with very limited space under the stock bumper.

AudiTurbo, do a search. No offense, you're wasting your time, adding weight, and reducing efficiency with a dual core setup on a 1.8T. It's been discussed, tried, and put to rest.

Old 09-12-2009, 06:24 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Tweaked
This is not a 240SX. This is an A4, with very limited space under the stock bumper.

AudiTurbo, do a search. No offense, you're wasting your time, adding weight, and reducing efficiency with a dual core setup on a 1.8T. It's been discussed, tried, and put to rest.
true... but ive only been an audi owner for about 2 1/2 weeks so im still learning about ****.. and im a 2.8 owner not a 1.8... just trying to throw out some ideas lol.... best of luck op

Quick Reply: Front Mount Or Dual