B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Front license plate delete

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 04:09 PM
3rd Gear

I'm not sure what to do with my front plate after I shave my car. Possibly the windshield!

Old 01-05-2010, 09:57 PM
Super Moderator

Not to be a dick but this is not true. The only reason I am correcting this is to save other people from moving their plate just for this reason.
Radar as you state does not need a flat surface to bounce off of. On the other hand Laser does, but moving your plate in effect will give one less target to aim at, but in reality a laser can bounce back off of pretty much any area of your car in the front. The only area that wont return pretty much is the hood. I can post sources if you would like. I am Certified in using both, and do on a daily basis.

I do like the hide away idea. If you could put it on some kinda of button to pop out when needed that would be slick. Imagine getting pulled over for no front plate bam hit the button... Officer I dunno WTF your talkin bout but i have a front plate go look!
Originally Posted by ImTheDevil
I very well may move my plate off to the side once I pick up my S4 bumper (pending very soon). My reasoning is the same for when I did so on my 300ZX. The bumper curves around as it goes from the center to the side. Putting the plate off to the side effectively angles it when seen directly from the front of the car. The angle isn't much but it is definitely there. I do this because in NY there is only one reason to have a front plate - it's a nice, flat, shiny, reflective surface for the cops to bounce radar off of when they're running speed enforcement. By angling the plate by putting it off to the side (I suggest the passenger side, since the police usually sit in the median off to the left), you increase the angle between the police car and the reflection of the radar waves. Cop is in the median, shoots at the plate, the wave bounces off into the trees/field/buildings on the other side of the highway, and makes it significantly harder to get a read on the vehicle's speed, since the waves are reflected away from the police car. You can still get zinged, but this will greatly reduce the range they can get you for.

I don't typically speed on the highway, around 10 over which is largely ignored around here, but it's always possible to creep up a few mph without noticing right away, and that can be the difference between ticket and no ticket.

Old 01-05-2010, 10:02 PM
Administrator

Ok I'll clarify what I said. The plate isn't imperative for radar reflection but it definitely helps. Yes, the car can reflect the radar without the plate. But the presence of that plate can make things easier. Bottom line for me - try and tip the odds a little more in our own favor. If it helps, great. If not, nothing lost for trying.

Old 01-06-2010, 12:25 AM

Just get a mk3 or mk2 front plate bracket and flip in upside down and mount it lower and flush your oem holes.

PICS OF MY OLD MK3

Attached Thumbnails Front license plate delete-picture046.jpg   Front license plate delete-picture048.jpg   Front license plate delete-picture048.jpg   Front license plate delete-picture048.jpg  

Last edited by 1.8TNYC; 01-06-2010 at 12:30 AM.
Old 01-06-2010, 02:01 AM
2nd Gear

very simple to do actually!

swift motorsports has them

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5eFWMWNvEQ

Old 01-06-2010, 03:50 AM
5th Gear

haha, those hideaway plates wouldn't work for me because i'd probably break it on a driveway. race springs are not kind at all lol. anyways like ImTheDevil said the plate is a great way for cops to catch you speeding which is another reason why you can't have a license plate protector in NY state. if you feel up to it, i think there's enough room to ziptie the plate to the lower grilles.

for people who want to run their plates to the side, you won't be able to if you have fogs in the bumper. screw it, go all out with a hood scoop and mount it on there with a huge single turbo in place of the intake mani on the 2.8 lol

Old 01-06-2010, 09:20 AM
Administrator

I just have mine zip tied to the grille lowers lol, see the siggy