B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Front license plate delete

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 03:22 AM
2nd Gear
Cool Front license plate delete

Hey I want to get rid of my front license plate. Maybe hang it to the side or maybe put it in the window. Regardless, I want that cleaner look and I want to make room for a FMIC. Now I know one option is to take off the US plate and a slap on a Euro one. But what I want to know is, if I take off my plate will I find two holes for mounting, and what can I do to get rid of these if I just decide to have no plate at all? I dont want two holes in my bumper!

Old 01-04-2010, 09:33 AM
Super Moderator

Straight from Oregon law.
Just trying you help ya avoid an unnecessary ticket.
"A single license plate is issued to mopeds, motorcycles, trailers, campers, antique vehicles, and special interest vehicles, while two license plates are issued to all other types of vehicles registered by DMV, including passenger vehicles and trucks (See ORS 803.525).

If only one license plate is issued, it must be displayed on the rear of the vehicle. If two plates are issued, one must be displayed on the front of the vehicle and the other on the rear of the vehicle. Plates must be in plain view so as to be easily read by the public and law enforcement (See ORS 803.540).

License plates may not be altered and must not be covered by any material that alters their appearance. Furthermore, plate frames or holders must not prevent the numbers, letters, or stickers from being readable (See ORS 803.550 for more information)."

Last edited by chocalotstarfish; 01-04-2010 at 09:34 AM. Reason: forgot quote!
Old 01-04-2010, 05:27 PM
Administrator

Where you gonna put it if you take it off the bumper? And yes, if you have an OEM license plate holder, you will find two holes in the bumper when you remove it. The only way to get rid of them is going to be a new bumper, or bondo and a re-spray.

Old 01-04-2010, 05:37 PM
5th Gear

it's 3 holes if you have a license plate holder.

Old 01-04-2010, 07:49 PM
2nd Gear

Damn, thats what I was worried about. So lets say I bondo it. How much are we talking for a respray. Its just a small section, but I know they have to color match and all.

Hiwords, I'm thinking off to the side, in the windshield or maybe grab one of these hideaway plates. It slides under your car and whenevery you want you just push on it and it pops out. I just want that cleaner, customized look.

Old 01-04-2010, 08:35 PM
Administrator

I very well may move my plate off to the side once I pick up my S4 bumper (pending very soon). My reasoning is the same for when I did so on my 300ZX. The bumper curves around as it goes from the center to the side. Putting the plate off to the side effectively angles it when seen directly from the front of the car. The angle isn't much but it is definitely there. I do this because in NY there is only one reason to have a front plate - it's a nice, flat, shiny, reflective surface for the cops to bounce radar off of when they're running speed enforcement. By angling the plate by putting it off to the side (I suggest the passenger side, since the police usually sit in the median off to the left), you increase the angle between the police car and the reflection of the radar waves. Cop is in the median, shoots at the plate, the wave bounces off into the trees/field/buildings on the other side of the highway, and makes it significantly harder to get a read on the vehicle's speed, since the waves are reflected away from the police car. You can still get zinged, but this will greatly reduce the range they can get you for.

I don't typically speed on the highway, around 10 over which is largely ignored around here, but it's always possible to creep up a few mph without noticing right away, and that can be the difference between ticket and no ticket.

Old 01-04-2010, 09:16 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by ImTheDevil
I very well may move my plate off to the side once I pick up my S4 bumper (pending very soon). My reasoning is the same for when I did so on my 300ZX. The bumper curves around as it goes from the center to the side. Putting the plate off to the side effectively angles it when seen directly from the front of the car. The angle isn't much but it is definitely there. I do this because in NY there is only one reason to have a front plate - it's a nice, flat, shiny, reflective surface for the cops to bounce radar off of when they're running speed enforcement. By angling the plate by putting it off to the side (I suggest the passenger side, since the police usually sit in the median off to the left), you increase the angle between the police car and the reflection of the radar waves. Cop is in the median, shoots at the plate, the wave bounces off into the trees/field/buildings on the other side of the highway, and makes it significantly harder to get a read on the vehicle's speed, since the waves are reflected away from the police car. You can still get zinged, but this will greatly reduce the range they can get you for.

I don't typically speed on the highway, around 10 over which is largely ignored around here, but it's always possible to creep up a few mph without noticing right away, and that can be the difference between ticket and no ticket.
thats awesome lol i didnt know it worked that way except here in colorado 90% of the time they are on the right side so id put mine on driverside

Old 01-04-2010, 09:27 PM
Administrator

LOL yeah well, every little edge you can give yourself right?

Old 01-05-2010, 01:54 PM
1st Gear

That's pretty interesting info about the radar, I didn't know that.
I plan on making a bracket to put my plate off to one side once the weather is better, or if I get a ticket for no plate (undecided as to which side right now). I have the S4 front bumper and it doesn't have any holes in it, and I plan to keep it that way.... But in Cali, who knows how long I can continue to run without a front plate.

Old 01-05-2010, 02:32 PM

As soon as I can get my hands on an S4 front bumper, I'm going to be putting the front plate in the window. Texas law only states that the plate needs to be visible from the front of the vehicle.

Quick Reply: Front license plate delete