B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Front door speakers

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 11:33 PM
2nd Gear
Default Front door speakers

Anyone have a DIY instruction set they'd like to offer up for changing the front passenger door speaker? I'm pretty convinced mine is blown, and its rather annoying having a constant crackle coming from over there while listening to music. The rest of the speakers are fine and I cant afford a full new set of high quality mid rangers nor a sub or amp so I figured i'd just throw in a little 12 dollar replacement one to get my by til I can afford such upgrades but I dont really want to pay for an installation so can anyone give me advice on changing it? Does the mesh cover just pop off somehow or do I have to take the entire door panel off to get to it?

Old 05-27-2008, 11:44 PM
Default RE: Front door speakers

the mesh is bolted down to the door panel, don't try to pop it off.

you have to remove the door panel off to get to the speakers (do some research on the forum, there's plenty). Basically there are 1 screws that holds that plastic door handle bar, take that off, then 2 more screws underneath, then one screw at the very top/front of the door panel, and one more screw on the side beside the locking bar. take those off, and pull the door panel upwards and it will come off.

just on the side note, if your car has the bose speakers, it'll be a bitch to replace it, cuz it sits on a 3 screws adaptor with slightly tilted angle. You'll know what I am talking about when you get to it. And again, do some research on the forum, you'll get lots of info on that.

Old 05-27-2008, 11:46 PM
5th Gear

this might help. http://www.audiworld.com/tech/elec.html
but you need to do this first http://www.audiworld.com/tech/int.html
have fun

Old 05-28-2008, 12:28 AM
2nd Gear

Sweet, thanks guys, this will be useful when I find the time to take that door apart

Old 05-28-2008, 12:29 AM
1st Gear

hiwords met to link you to http://www.audiworld.com/tech/elec27.shtml

Old 05-28-2008, 12:34 AM
2nd Gear

Yea, I scrolled through the list of links in that link he gave me and found that same page. Thanks for putting a direct link to it in the thread though, it'll make getting back to that same page quicker in the future.

Old 05-28-2008, 12:45 AM
5th Gear

o crap, i thought i linked the right pages lol. total failure on my part hope your adventure is a successful one

Old 05-28-2008, 01:04 AM
Administrator

You won't need much time to take it apart - there are only the five screws and then you lift it out. It's very easy, which you'll see. The only annoying part is when you put it back together - you have to find a way to get the lock button to pop out through the mount in the top of the door panel (it's on the end of a long flexible plastic rod that won't stay where you put it). You can't really hold it in place when you're trying to reseat the door panel, so you have to position it as well as you can and then gently ease the door panel down onto it. You'll get it - it just may take some swearing and a few attempts.

Old 05-28-2008, 01:13 AM
2nd Gear

Sounds like a job to be accompanied by a few beers, but sweet, sounds fairly simple, probably could knock it out in an hour then? I'm sure something sticky attached to a drinking straw or something of that sort will aid in negotiating with that button to get it seated correctly, I'll let you know what I come up with and how it goes.

Old 05-28-2008, 01:16 AM
Administrator

I imagine an hour will end up being more than enough time. Remember also, once you have the door panel freed up, don't just yank it out of the way - the connection from the inside door handle to the latch mechanism will still be attached and you don't want to break that

Quick Reply: Front door speakers