B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Freaking Mess

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 09:50 AM
1st Gear
Default Freaking Mess

I idled the car for about an hour yesterday and now on top of it running like ****... it sounds like there's an exhaust leak up under the engine somewhere and it's misfiring I believe... that's what it sounds like anyways. This stupid thing ran perfectly before it wasn't started for 2 months... wtf is this ****!? It's not like it was sitting next to the ocean in salty air or anything... how the hell do you go from running 100% perfectly to having so much frickin wrong for no reason.. just because you didn't drive it. Man back when i had my '95 geo prizm that thing ran no matter what... had 180k...it was beat to **** and left sitting unstarted for extended periods of times more than once... unlike this car and it always started without hesitation. perhaps it's time for a toyota?

Old 04-17-2008, 09:59 AM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Freaking Mess

Well, I know you've got a few threads talking about your problems with your car, but I don't want to take notes going from thread to thread, so I'll just throw a few suggestions out there in case they haven't already been addressed. You might consider summarizing all of your issues in this thread.

I don't know what the shelf-life of gasoline is, but you may have breached it. I don't know if you've driven enough to need to refuel, but that might be a start. Also, change your plugs. And change your oil, but first, add a half can of seafoam to the crank and drive with it in there for a while. And DEFINITELY go to AutoZone and have them scan your car for free. With those kinds of symptoms, you're bound to have at least one code which will be invaluable in fixing your car.

If your car is misfiring, you'll get a flashing CEL.

Old 04-17-2008, 10:05 AM
1st Gear

Service already done:

New:
alternator
plugs
wires
radiator
timing kit

did "tune up"
fuel filter checked
oil change/oil filter

the gas has not been touched... its probably about .. wow.. lol.. i didn't even do the math til now but its like 7 months old.

but even if it's bad gas that still doesn't explain the stupid loud noise it's making.. correct?

oh and the CEL has been steadily on from what I see

Old 04-17-2008, 10:14 AM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: carlv

the gas has not been touched... its probably about .. wow.. lol.. i didn't even do the math til now but its like 7 months old.

but even if it's bad gas that still doesn't explain the stupid loud noise it's making.. correct?
Yeah, in that case, I'm betting it's mostly to do with bad gas. Get your car scanned though, it'll eliminate a lot of the guess work.

Old 04-17-2008, 10:20 AM
1st Gear

it was scanned at the shop that did all the work. i don't know the exact code it threw but they said it was the throttle position sensor and THEY wouldn't touch it. can this stupid sensor that would take 20 min to replace really be the root of all evil? i'd understand if it ran a bit shitty and all but being SO crappy? the stupid dealership will charge 300-500$ to replace this.. its ridiculous.. 2300$ was already put into the car and 3000$ is still owed on it >.<

is there some trick to getting the throttle body off also? I've looked at it numerous times.. i just don't see how it comes off the way it is..or how I could possibly do it myself. what tools are you people using?

Old 04-17-2008, 10:24 AM
3rd Gear

Just get it scanned at AutoZone and then you'll have the code(s) in hand. Seriously, do it today.

I really think the problem with your car is the 7 month old gas.

Was it running like crap before the timing belt job? Maybe the timing is off.

When I cleaned my throttle body, I used this DIY:

http://audi.kris-hansen.com/throttle_body_clean.htm

There is almost no space to do it and it was a HUGE pain.

Old 04-17-2008, 10:29 AM
1st Gear

the problem is it's not registered or insured.. i can't just take it to autozone.. i'm trying to get this stupid thing running so I can start working again.. i live in the sticks.. too much time has been wasted trying to figure this stupid car out.. nobody seems to know **** about them and everyone wants to charge 500$ for a 20min job to replace a 160$ part it ran just as shitty before the timing kit

Old 04-17-2008, 10:33 AM
3rd Gear

Okay, well, good luck.

Old 04-17-2008, 10:59 AM
3rd Gear

might help if you told us what car this is. ive not read your other threads. you said they replaced your plugs and wires, well alot of audis dont have wires. the coil packs are directly ontop of the plugs. also is it misfiring? do you know how to tell if it is? some model's coil packs are prone to failure which would make your car run like ****.

Old 04-17-2008, 11:03 AM
1st Gear

the misfiring thing was ruled out I believe because the CEL doesnt flash, and the wiring was discussed in another thread.. the mechanics apparently hooked up the wires incorrectly for 2 cylinders but fixing them hasnt changed anything for the better... as mentioned in a new thread I've discovered a massive buildup of crud which i'm led to believe is causing the vac issue i'm having.

Quick Reply: Freaking Mess