B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

forge 004 problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 07:37 PM

Your O2 sensors aren't related, nor is your SAP. Did you delete it for an FMIC?

Also, there's your code right there. Airflow isn't getting back into your engine, so you're running too rich and your car is stalling. Double-check the installation and hoses... if the BOV is the only thing you installed, and your car is stalling due to a lack of air, there's a pretty serious leak somewhere.

Old 08-07-2008, 07:44 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by onepoint8tee
Ya you're going rich off throttle for sure... If your 02 sensor is bad, that may cause your ecu to not adapt correctly for sudden lean/rich conditions.
ya know, i thought about that after i posted. the sensor might not be completely bad yet, but it could be running slow.

Originally Posted by Leifer
Your O2 sensors aren't related, nor is your SAP. Did you delete it for an FMIC?

Also, there's your code right there. Airflow isn't getting back into your engine, so you're running too rich and your car is stalling. Double-check the installation and hoses... if the BOV is the only thing you installed, and your car is stalling due to a lack of air, there's a pretty serious leak somewhere.
i didnt delete the SAP, its just broke i guess. i've only had the car a few months so i havent been able to fix everything yet. i guess i'll have to do a pressure test and check for leaks...

Old 08-07-2008, 07:46 PM
Site Moderator

A bad combi valve (replaces the egr valve for older engines) can get clogged/broken and cause SAP codes and a metalic rattle sound on a cold start for a min.

Old 08-07-2008, 07:55 PM
1st Gear

yea i started reading about the SAP codes when i bought the car, and i do also get the vacuum cleaner noise from what im guessing is the SAP itself.

i guess my confusion with the BOV is why did it work more or less okay the whole 20 minute ride (which was city driving, so lots of shifting) and only stall when i got home?

what about the BOV itself? i bought it used, but i dismantled it and cleaned it all up and re-greased everything. if it were faulty (maybe its not actually closed at idle like it should be?) could that cause my problem? i wonder how i can check it

Old 08-07-2008, 08:37 PM
Site Moderator

Eventually your plugs got soaked and stopped firng I guess.. Thats should be the reason for the decline in operation/stall. It sounds like it's losing air @ idle/off throttle between shifts. There is a spring in it right?

Last edited by onepoint8tee; 08-07-2008 at 08:44 PM.
Old 08-07-2008, 08:46 PM
1st Gear

well like i said the o2 sensor codes were there when i bought the car, i'll check the plugs though and see what they look like.

yes there are two springs in it. the large one is the green spring, and the small one didnt have a color. what is normal vacuum of these cars at idle/between shifts? i have a vacuum pump so maybe i can apply vacuum to the valve and see what happens?

Old 08-07-2008, 08:49 PM
Site Moderator

Great idea.. Closed throttle vac is 20-25hg.

Old 08-07-2008, 09:58 PM
1st Gear

alright, i applied 25 in.Hg of vacuum to the bov and it is definitely opened. not WIDE open, but open nonetheless. i'll see if i can take a pic. i wonder if that means the smaller spring is not applying enough pressure to keep it closed

Old 08-07-2008, 10:19 PM
1st Gear

okay, its really hard to get a pic so this is the best i got. sorry the one is a bit blurry.

closed (no vac)

opened (25 in.Hg of vac) even though its blurry you can tell that its not completely sealed.

do you think that could be the cause of the problem? i'll try to contact forge tomorrow and ask them, and in the meantime im gonna disassemble the BOV again and make sure i put it back together correctly. though its pretty tough to screw that up...

Old 08-07-2008, 10:54 PM
2nd Gear

add a washer, I had a simular problem with the 004 I had, epc like kept coming on and the car was stalling, add a washer stiffen up the spring.

Quick Reply: forge 004 problem