B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Foglight Modification Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 07:54 PM
1st Gear
Exclamation Foglight Modification Question

Anyway, straight to the point / What I hope to accomplish:

I drive a 98.5 Audi A4 1.8TM (No quattro sadly, from Cali)

The 'foglights' are located inside the headlight housing under the low/high beams, no external fogs.
I've bought a set of oem foglights/housings off of a 2000+ A4 that go in the lower fascia.

What I want to do is add this 2000+ set of foglights onto the car while maintaining the stock foglights in the main headlight unit (basically creating 2 sets of fogs; original + external)

I want to do this but utilize the 'rear fog switch' to turn the external set on/off (i hate that rear fog switch, to me it's useless) If I can't use that switch could i get a foglight switch from the junkyard and put it in one of the empty spots? If so, what power source should i use so it would power only when the car is 'on'? Any safe power source to tap into for lights?

... annnnddd I want to be able to control the new set of fogs regardless of if the high/low headlights are on.. so i can use the fogs independently of any other set of lights (I want to lose complete function of the rear fog and use that switch to simply turn the new set of fogs I will be placing in the lower fascia)

I have read this: http://www.audiworld.com/tech/ext11.shtml but I don't know if it will apply to my 98.5 A4...
I also will use this for physical install: http://www.audiworld.com/tech/elec90.shtml

In a perfect world I could combine these two setups to get what I want. I'm comfortable with wiring if needed to use the rear fog switch. (I don't know if it will throw any fault codes if i disconnect that switch and rewire to use the new fogs)

I believe that's all... I have spent all day researching but I can't find anything more helpful.

Is any of this possible?! PS I know it's illegal to have so many lights; I'll verify its not blinding anyone before the final setup..

Thanks!

Old 02-21-2010, 08:03 PM
3rd Gear

wont work but i knw how to do it =]

Old 02-21-2010, 08:11 PM
1st Gear

Well, you've caught my attention... now what?

Thanks!

Old 02-21-2010, 08:50 PM
3rd Gear

do you wanna go with a aftermarket way as a seperate switch and ebay foglights or do you wanna go oem foglights and than you haft to order the plastic front peices and than mod the switch and than hook up the fogs to the headlights harness?

Old 02-21-2010, 08:55 PM
3rd Gear
Old 02-21-2010, 09:01 PM
3rd Gear

Sorry i didnt read that you bought a set so what you do is get a multimeter and see what wire is powerd by the foglights turn the switch on and off to see what wire is getting the power its must likly a black and red wire

Old 02-21-2010, 09:12 PM
1st Gear

If I tie into the headlight power wont that cause a bunch of overloading / fuse blowing / fires? ha I just want to do it in the most reliable way. How would I do it if I wanted to just run all new wiring and use an existing oem foglight switch? what power is safe to tie into for headlight grade power?

aka run new wiring for the foglights i'm putting in, but use an oem style switch (right by the hazard switch and current foglight switch) . What power is safe to tie into to power these foglights? or is my only option to run it directly to the battery?

Thanks

Old 02-21-2010, 09:34 PM
3rd Gear

take out the fogs out of the headlights there use less, you knw what im saying =]

Old 02-21-2010, 09:52 PM
Administrator

Drop the panel below the steering column. You'll see four terminals there, each with wires. Three are red and one is yellow. The reds are direct battery power independent of the ignition. The yellow is power that is switched by the ignition. That's the one you want.

Old 02-21-2010, 10:05 PM
3rd Gear

jeremy did u figure out how to mod you fog light switch?

Quick Reply: Foglight Modification Question