B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Fog Light Retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 10:39 PM

Hate to say it, but I doubt you'll find a replacement lens. Individual parts like that are far too uncommon.

Re: condensation - so the housing is completely sealed? Usually this is undesireable because then the moisture in the air gets trapped inside (along with fumes that the silicone releases as it dries). Not sure if fogs in stock form are totally sealed, but generally headlights have vents to prevent condensation buildup.

Old 01-16-2012, 11:47 PM
2nd Gear

I originally tried using the vents. The volume of water that found its way in was more than just condensation. We'll see how this attempt works out.

I'm still pissed that the lens cracked. I don't even know why.

Old 01-17-2012, 10:57 AM

Yeah that is a shame... maybe the cooler surface of the counter caused part of the lens to cool too quickly or something. In any case, it may be worth looking around forums for fogs with damaged housings. They would be very cheap!

Don't know what to tell you about the condensation. Maybe you can try heating the whole housing before sealing it to reduce the amount of moisture trapped inside.

Old 04-06-2012, 10:43 PM
2nd Gear

Bringing this project back from the dead. I got a new/used lens and hope to put the finishing touches on it tomorrow.

In the mean time, I plan on setting up the fogs as my daytime running lights ie: on with ignition and then off with the low beams but can be turned on again with dash switch if desired.

Name:  DRLCricuit.png
Views: 191
Size:  10.2 KB

Old 04-08-2012, 11:50 AM
2nd Gear

Got everything finished up yesterday. The fog lights come on with the ignition as DRLs and then shut off when the low beams are turned on. The switch on the dash can be used to turn them on again. I'm glad that I wired them this way as the foreground is very bright with these on!

Old 04-08-2012, 09:47 PM

Question: are the fogs on when the key is in the ON position without the engine running?

Old 04-08-2012, 10:52 PM
2nd Gear

With the way I have it setup currently, yes. The circuit would have to be a little more sophisticated than a couple of SPDT relays unless there is already such a circuit within the car I could tap into.

I don't often sit with the key on and the car not running. I'm only running 35W ballasts for the fogs, so if I do have the key on, that's only a little over 5A. If I wanted to turn them off, I could pull the fuse I suppose.

Old 04-09-2012, 11:30 AM

I used to have LED fogs set up to be controlled by the ignition like that, back when I had the stock bumper on. Later on I got a FUNK switch and used that to control the fogs completely independent of the fog light switch, but was still ignition controlled as well.

If you do end up searching for a source that is only powered when the engine is on, I'd be very interested to hear the results (AKA the location of it).

Old 07-29-2012, 10:14 PM
1st Gear

any update on these? would love to see finished product.

Old 07-30-2012, 12:29 AM
2nd Gear

They are finished, but I never took final output pics once I got both done. I'll try to get some in the next couple of days.

Quick Reply: Fog Light Retrofit