B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

fog light issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 11:19 AM
1st Gear

Thanks everyone! What are good facelifts for a 1998? My wife hates the car phone console plus its all busted up. Dumb little cup holders dont work either. Ideas? Console, headlights etc etc.

Old 05-23-2014, 11:33 AM
2nd Gear

A4TurboGuy Mad Cow

Old 05-23-2014, 12:20 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by mtroxel
A4TurboGuy Mad Cow
Who doesn't enjoy a good battle every now and then? Keeps the forums interesting.

Old 05-24-2014, 10:54 AM
2nd Gear
Thumbs up Nice Try

Originally Posted by Mad Cow
This isn't a matter of opinion, you're literally driving around with 2 of your 3 brake lights on. LED tails are bright, but you can at least tell when they're braking because of how the lights are arranged. If your 3rd brake light were to go out, everybody behind you wouldn't know when you're braking. Don't matter how visible your car is when the people behind you can't tell if you're braking or not. I've never had any issues spotting tail lights in everything but the worse possible fog/rain/blizzard (aka conditions that the rear fog was designed for), so don't try to tell me that running 2 brake lights always on will make it safer in the middle of the day. Also love the logic "damn these bright LED tail lights blinding me, better brighten up my tail lights too."

There's a very good reason the rear fog turns on only one light, you just threw that out the windows because LED tail lights are really bright and you want in on some of that action.
Your response is the very definition of "opinion".......(and "ignorant").

You stated no facts at all. You just went on a rant about how you feel (which is an opinion). Your "facts" are just as wrong as your grammar.

Let me state some actual facts for you:

1. I have 3 brake lights - Right, Left and Third.
2. I have 2 rear fog lights - Right and Left.
3. My 2 rear fog lights are separate from my 3 rear Brake lights.
4. I've never had anyone complain about my rear fogs being on.
5. There is a very distinct visual difference when braking with the rear fogs on.
6. I have absolutely no problem with LED anything.7.
7. If your opinion differs from someone else; That does not automatically make you right and them stupid.

You can insist all you want, but you're only fooling yourself.

Have a nice day

Old 05-25-2014, 12:08 PM
1st Gear

I was able to get them all working. I also drilled out the right side as o I have both rear fog lights and the 2 in the headlights.

Old 05-25-2014, 03:56 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by A4TurboGuy
Your response is the very definition of "opinion".......(and "ignorant").

You stated no facts at all. You just went on a rant about how you feel (which is an opinion). Your "facts" are just as wrong as your grammar.

Let me state some actual facts for you:

1. I have 3 brake lights - Right, Left and Third.
2. I have 2 rear fog lights - Right and Left.
3. My 2 rear fog lights are separate from my 3 rear Brake lights.
4. I've never had anyone complain about my rear fogs being on.
5. There is a very distinct visual difference when braking with the rear fogs on.
6. I have absolutely no problem with LED anything.7.
7. If your opinion differs from someone else; That does not automatically make you right and them stupid.

You can insist all you want, but you're only fooling yourself.

Have a nice day
I forgot that the B5 has separate reflectors for the rear fogs, that's my bad. But the fact is people who don't know this will assume they're your brake lights since they're so bright. It's not just the brightness but the colour too, tail lights on low power are a deep red, while brake lights and rear fogs are more washed out. People pick up on this and they get confused. It's subtle, but imagine someone's driving behind you not really paying attention, they suddenly see what appears to be brake lights at first glance, so they step on the brakes out of reflex and get rear ended. It's incredibly unlikely, but it could happen. As for people not complaining, it's not like someone's gonna pull you over to tell you that your tail lights are too bright. That's same tactic used by people who fit HIDs into reflector housings "nobody yelled at me about it, so they must not notice at all." So tell me, with your infinite wisdom, why cars that have rear fogs only have the left side light up? And don't give me the usual "it's just because the guvmint says so" answer, there's obviously some logic behind the decision. On that same token, barring DOT regulations, why wouldn't VAG make it so the rear fog's always on no matter what?

I, along with most everyone on the road has no problem seeing low-power tail lights in 99% of road conditions, the other 1% is when you should actually be using the rear fogs. Who cares how bright your tail lights are when everyone behind you can see you perfectly fine anyway? Making them brighter isn't going to make you more visible unless it's a situation where regular tail lights just don't cut it. It's completely unnecessary and arguably unsafe, that's not a good combination.

P.S: Don't attack someone's grammar unless you have an axe to grind or can't come up with an argument that actually has substance. But since you mentioned it, please do list my mistakes, I'm curious.

Old 05-26-2014, 09:57 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Mad Cow
I forgot that the B5 has separate reflectors for the rear fogs, that's my bad. But the fact is people who don't know this will assume they're your brake lights since they're so bright. It's not just the brightness but the colour too, tail lights on low power are a deep red, while brake lights and rear fogs are more washed out. People pick up on this and they get confused. It's subtle, but imagine someone's driving behind you not really paying attention, they suddenly see what appears to be brake lights at first glance, so they step on the brakes out of reflex and get rear ended. It's incredibly unlikely, but it could happen. As for people not complaining, it's not like someone's gonna pull you over to tell you that your tail lights are too bright. That's same tactic used by people who fit HIDs into reflector housings "nobody yelled at me about it, so they must not notice at all." So tell me, with your infinite wisdom, why cars that have rear fogs only have the left side light up? And don't give me the usual "it's just because the guvmint says so" answer, there's obviously some logic behind the decision. On that same token, barring DOT regulations, why wouldn't VAG make it so the rear fog's always on no matter what?

I, along with most everyone on the road has no problem seeing low-power tail lights in 99% of road conditions, the other 1% is when you should actually be using the rear fogs. Who cares how bright your tail lights are when everyone behind you can see you perfectly fine anyway? Making them brighter isn't going to make you more visible unless it's a situation where regular tail lights just don't cut it. It's completely unnecessary and arguably unsafe, that's not a good combination.

P.S: Don't attack someone's grammar unless you have an axe to grind or can't come up with an argument that actually has substance. But since you mentioned it, please do list my mistakes, I'm curious.
1. I have TWO (not one) rear fog lights.

2. Do you honestly think you're in a position to speak for everyone else on the streets, them have the audacity to also presume to know what everyone else on the streets is thinking and/or feeling?...........Seriously???

3. Grammar: "If your 3rd brake light were to go out, everybody (everyone) behind you wouldn't know when you're brakin (braking)". - This statement is also a complete assumption. Not a fact.

Your argument is so weak. Don't pretend to know what "everyone on the streets" is thinking and/or feeling. That's just plain ridiculousness.

If you don't know the difference between fact and opinion, you shouldn't post up.

I have no wish to fight with you, but I also have no tolerance for those who state their opinion as fact and then fight with those who disagree with them.

You should just state your opinion (which this is) and leave it at that.

Your honest opinion is far more respectable than this quest for righteousness you're on. Each post you make just digs you deeper into the hole of ignorance.

Thank you for your time.

Last edited by A4TurboGuy; 05-26-2014 at 10:01 AM.
Old 05-26-2014, 10:03 AM
2nd Gear

Old 05-27-2014, 08:04 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by mtroxel
+1........

Old 05-29-2014, 09:58 AM
3rd Gear

People driving around with rear fogs (one or two) on in anything but the worst weather look like tools

Quick Reply: fog light issue