B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

FMIC and 6K HIDs pics!

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 10:09 AM
3rd Gear
Default RE: FMIC and 6K HIDs pics!

ORIGINAL: 01AudiA4

The one thing that i like about the racetec is that you can mount it withouth taking out the lower grills. But looks reall good.
Sorry to threadjack... but any idea what size turbo the Racetec can supoort? None of these manufacturers seem to list CCs or recommended turbo sizes.

Old 07-06-2008, 12:42 PM

Headlights look good.

Old 07-06-2008, 01:24 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Tweaked

ORIGINAL: 01AudiA4

The one thing that i like about the racetec is that you can mount it withouth taking out the lower grills. But looks reall good.
Sorry to threadjack... but any idea what size turbo the Racetec can supoort? None of these manufacturers seem to list CCs or recommended turbo sizes.
there's no set number or size the core can support. If you really wanted you could run a gt28rs on the stock SMIC, not that you would want to though of course.

most of the time manufactures rate cores in HP.. godspeed from ebay is 400, the racetec is about 350 I believe. larger surface area and fin density determine what size turbo they can "support". There's nothing that says you must use X with X core.. smaller cores= less pressure loss but also ususaly mean less cooling which = hotter, thinner air which decreases horsepower, as opposed to larger cores which = more pressure loss, but cool better which means colder, denser air. Selecting the right FMIC core is a balance between these two, and carefull consideration should usualy be taken when deciding which is best for the turbo you select. Unless of course you plan on getting one that is intented to see a BT in the future. higher quality cores will see less pressure loss and higher fin density which eliminates some of the downsides, cheap kits cost a couple hundred, a good one costs $1000+. for example, the godspeed I have is "rated" for 400 HP, and I decided to use it on a chiped k03 car, the core is really too big for my car as it is because the increased cooling capacity dosen't really make up for the 3-4psi pressure loss I experience with a cheaper core with a bigger surface area than the stock SMIC. However, it will be a good pair with the gt28rs I plan on installing later on.

Old 07-06-2008, 01:37 PM

That looks awesome, makes me miss my B5 1.8T even more.

Old 07-06-2008, 10:54 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: 1781cc

there's no set number or size the core can support. If you really wanted you could run a gt28rs on the stock SMIC, not that you would want to though of course.

most of the time manufactures rate cores in HP.. godspeed from ebay is 400, the racetec is about 350 I believe. larger surface area and fin density determine what size turbo they can "support". There's nothing that says you must use X with X core.. smaller cores= less pressure loss but also ususaly mean less cooling which = hotter, thinner air which decreases horsepower, as opposed to larger cores which = more pressure loss, but cool better which means colder, denser air. Selecting the right FMIC core is a balance between these two, and carefull consideration should usualy be taken when deciding which is best for the turbo you select. Unless of course you plan on getting one that is intented to see a BT in the future. higher quality cores will see less pressure loss and higher fin density which eliminates some of the downsides, cheap kits cost a couple hundred, a good one costs $1000+. for example, the godspeed I have is "rated" for 400 HP, and I decided to use it on a chiped k03 car, the core is really too big for my car as it is because the increased cooling capacity dosen't really make up for the 3-4psi pressure loss I experience with a cheaper core with a bigger surface area than the stock SMIC. However, it will be a good pair with the gt28rs I plan on installing later on.
Thanks for the info!
I'm in the same spot... I might never go larger than a K04, but if I do, I don't want to buy one twice. I guess I could always sell it, though...