B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Flashing oil pressure light, 2.6L

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 12:36 AM
Default Flashing oil pressure light, 2.6L

96 A4 2.8l Auto FWD
60k on the engine, 120k on the car

Recently I’ve been getting a flashing oil pressure light, with the 3 audible beeps.

Here is the crazy part.
It only happens when I'm turning left (at speed.... like 30+ or so), or in the morning when the car is cold and climbing a VERY slight hill. The light flashed about 5 times, I hear the beeps, then it goes off. No codes stored.

Not consitant with RPM, or Load factor. But very consitant with a left turn.

I have confirmed the oil level is correct.

Last service done to the car included a new oil cooler, as the old one was clogged up and nasty. (orginal in the car, not swapped / replaced with the 60k engine.

Additionally, when the car is cold, I hear what sounds kinda like the ice maker in my freezer filling with water, only louder. Hard to explain.... It’s definitely a filling / starving / sucking fluid sound of some type, but I don’t think its cooling system related. Almost sounds like a pump / impeller sucking fluid that’s full of air bubbles.

My best guess:
Bad oil pump?
Clogged pickup line / tube someplace in the engine that momentarily gets starved for fluid in a left turn.

crazy - I know.... just thought I'd ask for advice / help, as my shop can’t seem to figure it out.

thanks in advance,
Dave