B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

first tune up, anything else?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 12:41 AM
1st Gear
Default first tune up, anything else?

so i got the car about a month ago but the only thing i did to it was top off the oil, snap on some new rings to the grill, and reset the service reminder.

yesterday the rebirth began:

first thing i did was replace the fuel filter... didnt want the seafoam cleaning up the filter! followed the writeup on audidiy, i went crazy trying to find that 12pt 8mm bit, and finally bought one at napa for $8 only to find out that it was too long and wouldnt fit up in that tiny gap. guess what else works.. a T-40 torx, duh and I was able to fit that in on a 1/4" socket ftw! someone should add a note to that writeup. new filter was in, old one was clogged as hell and i immediately felt an increase in throttle response as i drove to the gas station!

dumped 2/3 of a can of seafoam in the tank and filled up with 91. put 2/3 can seafoam into the crankcase, picked up the cabin air filter i special ordered on the way home and slaped that in.

today, the car had been driven about 50mi since seafoam and was warm after recently being driven, did the remaining (2/3 can) seafoam into the vacuum line feeding the FPR. after the smoke sesh drained the oil slapped on a huge mann filter and 6.5qts mobile 1 0w40 (no castrol 0w30 available). changed the plugs to nkg iridium...the old audi nkg 2 electrode (platinum?) def needed to be replaced. ive heard people say the stock leads (plug wires) are both great and crappy... i ordered some nkg, having two sets of wires is never a bad thing. also while i had the top of the airbox off i unscrewed the flapper valve because i see no point to it and dumped all the crap out of the ram air catch (there was a cigarette but in there!!).

drove around for a bit then came home and cleared the codes, same EVAP LDP code i had before plus misfires on two cylinders (2&6) which im guessing is from the seafoam.

schedule for tomorrow pending arrival of MT-90 at napa: tranny/differential fluid change, yank out the abs module while the cars up (tried to do it today with the oil change but couldnt even break the lug nuts with that crappy audi tire iron) rear differential fluid change (75w90 GL-5).

anything else you guys can think of? the air filter looks ok, ill prob throw a cone intake on there in the summer, unless ill get the same effect with a K&N in the airbox then ill just do that now? once i get the trans and diffs done and the abs repaired the lude will be ready for winter. i got some bizzaks on 15" steelies just waiting for the snow... for some reason i love the look of steelies in the snow

Old 11-12-2009, 12:48 PM
Administrator

Going that far, you may as well change the coolant temp sensor since you probably don't know its age and they cause a lot of screwy problems when they fail. It's a $20 part. How's the coolant look? Nice and pink? If not, get two 1.5L bottles of G12 coolant and do a drain and fill. Otherwise it looks like you're probably ahead of the curve. And a K&N panel filter will do the same power-wise as a cone (basically nothing), but you won't get the cool induction roar with the drop-in filter that the cone gives you above 4000 RPM.

Old 11-12-2009, 06:16 PM
1st Gear

Maybe a new cabin air filter also referred to as a pollen filter.

How many miles you have on it?

Old 11-12-2009, 08:03 PM
1st Gear

its got 87k... timing belt/waterpump and brakes/rotors were just done by the previous owner and he gave me the reciepts.

Devil, my coolant is orange... def not the bright pink color of the pentosin. i thought maybe when you diluted it with water it got more orange, but i doubt that it could change color that much just from water. looks like ill be doing a coolant flush soon. does that need to be done asap, or can i order the engine coolant temperature sensor and wait for it to come in so i can do both together? and i assume thats the sensor you are talking about, on the back of the engine on the pass side right under the flexy tube connecting the MAF to the throttle body. looks like its got a harness and two torx screws holding it on but i couldnt get a good look, is the replacement that straightforward? thanks again and props to upstate NY, i was born and raised outside of utica