B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

first time buyer tips

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 03:18 AM
Site Moderator

Originally Posted by vgo
take them for a test drive on slight bumpy roads (roll down windows) and listen for clunks/squeeking. (means bad control arms).
Not for certain. Could be many things. Like Gremlins.

drive it on a highway(windows rolled up) and listen for high level wind noise just by the b-pillar(may need to replace the weather stripping even if it may look ok)
Most people would never notice or not care and get used to it, but it happens for sure... And it's not a laughing matter.

test the cassette player(they check-in, but never really check-out)
Were you sent here in a time machine from 92?
check the DIS display(the center box in the cluster) for any missing pixels...$400 repair they say.
Cant be picky about this. The majority of 99.5-01 B5 A4's suffer from this.

side view mirrors may have some brownish colour as if its rusting from the inside. its due to heated mirrors.
See above. It's not rust, it's the reactive chemical that is used for auto dimming. DO NOT EAT!
if the car has been sitting there for a long time. start the car and you may hear a high pitch sound. if it seems very excessive, secondary air pump is on its way out.
A high pitch sound could be a bunch of things!

check for cracks on the brake lines.
ok

its usually the small things that get over looked.
def
Window stripping and cassette players? Come on man! There are way more important things to look out for when purchasing a B5, especially a 1.8T. It sounds like you are speaking from past personal experiences...? If those were/are your ony problems consider yourself lucky

Nice fogs.. Here in the US we have to do a mod to get them to come on w/out the headlights.

Sorry if it seemed like i was grading your school paper with the red, but it's an effective reply tactic

Last edited by onepoint8tee; 08-07-2008 at 03:28 AM.
Old 08-07-2008, 05:42 PM
vgo
2nd Gear

^ lol ya they were from past experience.

i kinda wished i had pointed it out and would have gotten even a better bargain. =D

i dont have auto-dimmers on my side view mirrors. i looked it up and was told its due to the heated mirrors. but you could rewire the mirrors to your defroster, so that way you can turn it on when you only really need it.