B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Firewall suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 05:59 PM
1st Gear
Exclamation Firewall suggestions

im trying to figure out where is the best place to feed some lines/wires through the firewall.. id like to install my VDO boost gauge on the steering column pod.. does anyone got any pics of where to go about the firewall or how to do it?? ive been disconnecting the battery and ECU box just to see if i can get through there, but its been a lil frustrating..

any ideas or suggestions?????

Old 07-18-2009, 06:13 PM
1st Gear

Look for a rubber cap in the firewall on the driver side you can run it through there. ill take a picture of mine to show you.

Old 07-18-2009, 06:15 PM
3rd Gear

you need to get a vacuum source into the cabin? you can thread the vac line thru one of the rubber openings on the front of the ECU box, then open up the box and remove the ECU and there is a clear path right down to the back of the dash board. you dont have to remove the ECU but it makes it easier to see the hole.

Old 07-18-2009, 06:25 PM
1st Gear

Name:  100_0022.jpg
Views: 509
Size:  70.8 KB
Name:  100_0023.jpg
Views: 454
Size:  67.9 KB

Old 07-18-2009, 06:38 PM
1st Gear
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by srlito
Look for a rubber cap in the firewall on the driver side you can run it through there. ill take a picture of mine to show you.
thanks for the pics!! i really appreciate it.. now is the rubber cap u suggested behind the ECU box?? its difficult to get a hand behind the ECU box.. i see where u made your vac line connection.. nice! where did u tap for the power?

Old 07-18-2009, 06:52 PM
1st Gear

I tapped the power from the stereo illumination (mine doesnt need pwr to operate) so when i turned my lights on the light would come on on the gauge too. The hole is not behind the ecu box but just below the left corner as you can see the amp cable and vac line going in that direction.

Old 07-18-2009, 06:52 PM
1st Gear
Exclamation

also, did u run the vac line behind the engine or around the front like stock? is that a t-fitting u connected to it? im wondering if i have enough vacuum hose to do all of this.. or if i need more length or other fittings to work with..

Old 07-18-2009, 06:58 PM
1st Gear

the vac line for the gauge is the one with the t-fitting. I think i had something like 6ft of line and it fit just fine.

Old 07-18-2009, 07:02 PM
1st Gear
Lightbulb

I tapped the power from the stereo illumination (mine doesnt need pwr to operate) so when i turned my lights on the light would come on on the gauge too. The hole is not behind the ecu box but just below the left corner as you can see the amp cable and vac line going in that direction.
where is the stereo power wire located? is it that blue wire in your pic?? my badd, i meant power for illumination, mine doesnt need power to run either.. thanks for all the help tho... the instructions the boost gauge came with are very blunt, so unless you kno where everything is and how to do it already, its alot easier to install.. but this is my first attempt ever.. so bear with me... lol

Old 07-18-2009, 07:05 PM
1st Gear
Exclamation

the vac line for the gauge is the one with the t-fitting. I think i had something like 6ft of line and it fit just fine.
did you re-route the vac line to the rear of the engine or to the front? & is it the same vac line that goes down to the DV? or is there another vac line im missing??

Quick Reply: Firewall suggestions