B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

finally got er back!

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 11:47 AM
1st Gear
Default finally got er back!

so my car was having tranny probs about 3 weeks ago, making weird noises and stuff, my main shaft bearing was pretty much done and taking the rest with it. the dealership quoted me $4k to fix it, i took it to a vw/audi shop (midwest motorsports) and had them do it, they took it appart, it didnt have the original tranny and all the tranny bolts were loose and it was low on fluid, so it virtually destroyed itself (great ik) so the last dumbshit that fixed it f*cked it up. so the guy at the shop i went to picked up a used tranny for $600 and the clutch was also bad so he convinced me to a put an S4 clutch in, and he gave me a discount on that, and one of my cv joint book was trashed so he changedx the front one, and installed and got it all together for a grand total of $1880 which is an insanely good price. and i actually missed her after all the trouble she gave me, i cant hate her for being a bitch if the last guy that had her treated her like **** rite? so thats my story, bought the car for $3700 3 months before this happened with 156,00 miles on it and almost 2k later its moving rite! hope ur not falling asleep by now with my rambling. the guy at the shop also offers a sludge removal for $800 which i will prob invest in in spring being as this guy has earned my trust and with the other cars they had there working on and custom work on my respect

Old 11-30-2011, 06:11 PM
Administrator

Any info on what exactly they do in this sludge removal process?

Old 12-01-2011, 02:02 AM
1st Gear

ik they drop the oil pan atleast i didnt get much more info than that. but if you want more info i can get some.

Old 12-01-2011, 07:39 AM
Administrator

I'd do some reading first. What it sounds like is that they're going to drop the pan, clean it out, and clean off the pickup tube and its filter screen. You can do that yourself without a lot of trouble and with only ordering a new pan gasket (although if you're going in, I'd replace the tube and screen too). This will cost a small fraction of $800.

You can also do a Seafoam treatment on your oil to break down sludge, and if you want to go a little more hardcore, see this post from the stickies up top (also far less costly):

https://www.audiforums.com/forum/b5-...sludge-164370/

There are hundreds of DIY guys on this site who keep sludge issues at bay just fine with nothing more than Seafoam. I wouldn't blindly jump in and drop big money on a service that sounds to be like a last-ditch effort to save a sludged-nearly-to-death engine.

Old 12-01-2011, 09:13 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by ImTheDevil
Any info on what exactly they do in this sludge removal process?
Yeah, they insert the wallet vac into his pocket as a first step.

Actually, it sounds like the OP has found himself a reputable independent shop. Very nice!

Old 12-01-2011, 10:36 AM
1st Gear

true true, most of that would prob b easier done myself, and cheaper, but im still new with audis and such, and i would prefer atleast to have someone to walk me through it, but around here those are far and few in between. i lied its $600 not $800 and i think what you said is most of what he does. and also, i do seafoam treat my oil, and i pour tranny fluid in about 500 miles b4 an oil change, as i posted in the sticky. because thats what jeff (the only helpful guy ik who is kinda a **** actually) explained is best to do. he is nice and helpful but not very good at communicating, anyways. i dont know how "bad" my sludge is, i can see it from the oil cap looking in, but idk if any of that could go down my oil lines and get to my turbo? which would get pricey fast. should i be worried about that? also i am still going back to him soon because i still have a huge hesitation prob in my throttle. thinkin its a vacuum, leak but no idea where to look.

Old 12-03-2011, 12:36 AM
1st Gear

so i asked them what specifically they do.
-drop oil pan
-clean pickup tunes and other lines
-hook up presurized washer system and run a breakdown solution
-run more presurized water to rinse them put back together and walla!!!
all for $600

Old 12-03-2011, 10:26 AM
2nd Gear

Well, you could definitely drop the pan and clean the pickup lines yourself. I've never heard of a pressurized washer system, wonder where they hook that up?

Anyway, if it would give you peace of mind, sometimes the money is worth it.

Old 12-06-2011, 12:53 AM
1st Gear

yea cause i would live to get another 50,000 miles out of er. also i tried fixing my cruise control today, the pcm is fine no cracked solders. i cleaned the switch off good, but it still doesnt work. and now my horn doesnt work either lol