B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Finally getting to the A4, questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 09:26 AM
1st Gear
Exclamation Finally getting to the A4, questions

So after many other projects including the A6 motor replacement, dodge ram lifter replacement and diesel blazer de-rusting efforts, I am ready to work on the A4.

To catch everyone up, I picked up a 97 A4 1.8 auto for what amounts to change. The catch is I did not get to hear it start as it had no key and it had been diagnosed by Audi as having a bad transmission (supposedly). Getting it loaded onto a tow dolly with the steering locked was very interesting.

Rather than pay audi for a replacement key for a car that may very well not run I decided to just jack my own car. That took longer than I thought, but I got it to go and it started on the 2nd revolution (good for sitting for well over a year). No valve noise, quiet, AC came on all looked good. Shift into reverse, pretty much nothing or extreme slippage. Neutral, nothing (duh). Forward gears, a terrible whining sound and what seemed to be intermittent grabbing as if it wanted to move. The terrible sound makes me think it is toast, is it even worth trying to change the fluid and filter or is that indicative of a grenaded trans?

I have VAG COM but have not ran the codes just yet.

I know it has been talked about to death, but a few more trans questions:

This one is a DDT, will a DDT out of a VW work fine?

Is it possible to pull the trans out the bottom instead of putting it into service mode and pulling the engine? I have bad memories after two 2.8 swaps in the A6 and hooking up all those wires and hoses lol. I cant find any youtube vids or even how to's for pulling an A4 trans.

Thanks all, it is good to be back!

Old 05-11-2012, 09:43 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by A6fl
So after many other projects including the A6 motor replacement, dodge ram lifter replacement and diesel blazer de-rusting efforts, I am ready to work on the A4.

To catch everyone up, I picked up a 97 A4 1.8 auto for what amounts to change. The catch is I did not get to hear it start as it had no key and it had been diagnosed by Audi as having a bad transmission (supposedly). Getting it loaded onto a tow dolly with the steering locked was very interesting.
Jesus, you're a glutton for punishment it seems

The best way to do it would be to find an auto trans out of the same year A4 and swap it that way. Audi and VW share many parts, but I don't know enough about VW's or automatic transmissions to know if they're interchangeable.

You can drop the trans out the bottom, but doing it without a lift and a trans jack will be a horrible, shitty, long, dirty job.

Old 05-11-2012, 09:48 AM
1st Gear

I am sometimes, if it is something worth my time. In this case I learned a bunch from the a6 motor swap, timing, seals etc, i felt another Audi was in order.

I can get a good used trans from Miami for 200-300, I don't have a lift but I have jack stands for the front and a trans jack (worked on my Camaro a few years back).

Do you think lifting the front 12-16 inches will allow the trans to clear (and come out from under the car)?

I take it the lack of reverse and bad sound in drive it is likely grenaded.

Old 05-11-2012, 11:34 AM
Administrator

Yeah its prolly toast. You should have room to get it out with jack stands, but like I said its going to suck.

Old 05-11-2012, 12:15 PM
1st Gear

Worse than changing a 2.8... twice? Lol.

Update: I went out and started it and this time no horrible sound in drive gears. In fact a little gas (1300 RPM) and it moved forward. No check engine light. Under the odometer said "in 2" then went away. Weird?

I suppose next I better at least check the fluid level since i see the bottom of the trans pad is soaked, maybe the PO just had a leak and the stealership told them time for a new trans.

Old 05-11-2012, 12:24 PM
Administrator

"in 2" is one of the service interval reminders. Basically an idiot light for oil changes and scheduled maintenance. You can ignore it. I'd check the trans fluid and go from there.

Old 05-11-2012, 12:26 PM
1st Gear

On an A4 auto non tip, where is the upper plug to check/add? Topping it off before investing in a full flush seems like a good idea.

Old 05-11-2012, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by CCA4
You can drop the trans out the bottom, but doing it without a lift and a trans jack will be a horrible, shitty, long, dirty job.
WRONG, i just did a clutch job on jackstands. its surprisingly easy. you have plenty of room. granted i just dropped the whole subframe but still its easy. easier than you think. it took us a day to drop it all and a day to put it back. and by a day i mean 4 hours. just set the jackstands up as high as possible

Old 05-11-2012, 03:11 PM
Administrator

Yeah we did a clutch on jack stands. It's not a fun job but it's definitely doable.

Old 05-11-2012, 03:13 PM
1st Gear

Good details, will cross fingers it just needs some filter and fluid love. Thank you.

Quick Reply: Finally getting to the A4, questions