B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

A few questions, please

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 03:31 PM
1st Gear
Default A few questions, please

I have a 99' A4 B5 (FWD) with 139k miles. I got the car from the original owner with 111k miles on the car. I chipped it when I got it, replaced the DV valve and had to replace some tubing to fix a few vacuum leaks after the increased boost.

questions:
1) The previous owner had the timing belt break on him at around 75k miles I believe it was. He had to rebuild turbo/cylinder heads... So now that I have 139k on it is it time to change the timing belt again? Would I want to change the water pump [again] (I do not know if it was changed when the belt broke at 75k).

2) I changed the oil myself the last time and tightened the plug too hard, stripping about half of the threads from the pan (doh!). I was able to get the bolt back in and tight enough not to leak. I have been putting off this next oil change cause I'm worried haha. I'm going to take it to a jiffy lube or somewhere to get it done this time. My question is can the pan be re-tapped or otherwise fixed? Should I tell jiffy lube straight up and see what they can do -- surely they have had to deal with this before, yeah?

3) Recently I've noticed hesitation when accelerating, especially when the engine is cold. My guess is it might be a vacuum leak again, but what else could it be? It's been about 6k miles since I changed the oil, could this have anything to do with it (prob not I would think)? Could it be a fuel issue? I changed the air filter and spark plugs about 15k ago.

4) My ABS warning light has been on for over a year. I'm pretty sure its the ABS unit, but I've read it could be a wheel speed sensor too. I don't really care about having the ABS system -- I live in SoCal and I feel as long as I know I don't have the ABS I'm ok with it. So is there a way to just get rid of the warning permanently? Is that a bad idea? I'm getting annoyed explaining it to worried passengers that everything is fine when the see a red flashing BRAKES warning light.

Thanks so much for any replies!

Old 03-04-2009, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by gunnenator
I have a 99' A4 B5 (FWD) with 139k miles. I got the car from the original owner with 111k miles on the car. I chipped it when I got it, replaced the DV valve and had to replace some tubing to fix a few vacuum leaks after the increased boost.

questions:
1) The previous owner had the timing belt break on him at around 75k miles I believe it was. He had to rebuild turbo/cylinder heads... So now that I have 139k on it is it time to change the timing belt again? Would I want to change the water pump [again] (I do not know if it was changed when the belt broke at 75k).

Yes, when you order the kit make sure it has the pump, belts and tensioners. Should be standard on a good kit. Check out ecs tuning or blauparts. I would not push 70k on the timing belt. Dealers are working them in with the 60k regiment check.

2) I changed the oil myself the last time and tightened the plug too hard, stripping about half of the threads from the pan (doh!). I was able to get the bolt back in and tight enough not to leak. I have been putting off this next oil change cause I'm worried haha. I'm going to take it to a jiffy lube or somewhere to get it done this time. My question is can the pan be re-tapped or otherwise fixed? Should I tell jiffy lube straight up and see what they can do -- surely they have had to deal with this before, yeah?

This could be a problem even if it's not leaking. Get a new pan and gasket and get it done right. If your not checking your oil daily from this problem your scaring me lol.

3) Recently I've noticed hesitation when accelerating, especially when the engine is cold. My guess is it might be a vacuum leak again, but what else could it be? It's been about 6k miles since I changed the oil, could this have anything to do with it (prob not I would think)? Could it be a fuel issue? I changed the air filter and spark plugs about 15k ago.

Make sure to change the oil with synthetic only. The 1.8s like to sludge up if you don't, and say hello to a new engine . Most people will choose 5w40 but this is a preference. Your hesitation could be a number of problems. Mine is sluggish as well first thing on a cold morning. Fuel filter, vac leak, maf dirty, throttle body dirty, ignition wires come to mind but If it is not throwing a cel (check engine light) then your kind of guessing. A good system called a vag-com is out from ross tech but its a little expensive. It can do numerous things look them up . Also pick up a Bently book if you can.

4) My ABS warning light has been on for over a year. I'm pretty sure its the ABS unit, but I've read it could be a wheel speed sensor too. I don't really care about having the ABS system -- I live in SoCal and I feel as long as I know I don't have the ABS I'm ok with it. So is there a way to just get rid of the warning permanently? Is that a bad idea? I'm getting annoyed explaining it to worried passengers that everything is fine when the see a red flashing BRAKES warning light.

Could very well be your abs unit. Usually I think it flashes multiple times. Your right on the speed sensor as well. I wouldn't rule out just being in Cali is ok. ABS plays an important role in stopping not just in snow. Wet pavement or emergency stops ABS is a nice thing to have.

Thanks so much for any replies!
lllllllllllllll