B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Extremely unusual problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 04:39 PM
1st Gear
Default Extremely unusual problem

Hey guys, I'm pretty new. Having scoured the forums for answers, I could not find a solution.

I drive an 2000 Audi A4. The problem with it is that it seems to die out every time I shift from a high gear to neutral. If i were to accelerate and shift to neutral to brake, my rpm drops fast and dies. However, if I were to downshift and brake my car will usually not die.

The funny thing is when it dies, I can start the car up right away again. I just got to shift it to neutral and start. Any idea's as to what could be the culprit to this problem??

Old 03-12-2010, 05:06 PM
2nd Gear

You either have a boost leak or it could be MAF sensor related

Old 03-12-2010, 06:51 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the quick reply. You seem positive that those could be the problem. I'll go ahead and check for boost leak. Hopefully it will eliminate a trip to the dealer.

Old 03-12-2010, 06:59 PM
5th Gear

check your intake piping from the MAF. i had my intake piping fall off one time which means the MAF stopped sensing the amount of air going into the engine. i had exactly the same symptoms as you

Old 03-12-2010, 08:07 PM
1st Gear

I'll check the piping to the MAF. It could actually be a boost leak. I hear a whistling sound when I rev up. It could be me noticing something that was always there though.

Old 03-12-2010, 08:11 PM
2nd Gear

Doesn't have to be a boost leak. Can be any vacuum leak. It can be MAF, yes. Wastegate or DV might do that, too? Not 100% on that.

Old 03-13-2010, 03:15 AM
1st Gear

Well, I bought myself a MAF cleaner and cleaned the MAF. Checked the intake piping leading into the airbox. Everything looks decent connected yet the problem is still there. I still have yet to check for boost leaks. In the meantime, I have ordered an aftermarket MAF sensor.

Keeping my fingers crossed!

Old 03-13-2010, 10:38 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by hiwords
check your intake piping from the MAF. i had my intake piping fall off one time which means the MAF stopped sensing the amount of air going into the engine. i had exactly the same symptoms as you
I had the same exact thing happen to me recently. I was very relieved when I realized what the problem was.

Originally Posted by eliteshot
Well, I bought myself a MAF cleaner and cleaned the MAF. Checked the intake piping leading into the airbox. Everything looks decent connected yet the problem is still there. I still have yet to check for boost leaks. In the meantime, I have ordered an aftermarket MAF sensor.

Keeping my fingers crossed!
I would've suggested getting a new DV first, but it looks like you already ordered the MAF sensor. I guess it wouldn't hurt getting a new one anyway. I'm saying this because my DV stopped working not too long ago which was the reason for my boost leak since it was stuck open.

Old 03-14-2010, 12:20 AM
Administrator

Try doing a seafoam treatment and a throttle body alignment as well. Those can help with a lot of issues. Go a step farther as well and clean the electrical connections with contact cleaner and put in a ground web - changes like that can make the electrical signals much more precise, which can have significant impact on the car's operation.

Old 03-14-2010, 04:28 AM
1st Gear

I love this forum. Everyone's so helpful. Anyway, I ran a scan and I got a 'Turbocharger boost pressure control valve circuit, open' warning. Sooo, I guess A4 2000 was right.

Also, I noticed that my diverter valve is blowing off now. I thought that was weird considering that its suppose to recirculate the air. I'll pick up a new DV and eat my losses with the new MAF sensor.

Quick Reply: Extremely unusual problem