B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Exhaust systems that are quiet

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 05:22 PM
4th Gear

Paul from Socal Euro had the Milltek on his 01 A4 1.8t and it sounded good.

Old 10-04-2010, 06:25 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Cory Smith
I'm ***** deep in replacing my exhaust right now, and it isn't easy or fun. My flex broke clean in two after the car was revived from months of rest. So it was wrapped in a roof flashing and hose clamp bandage until now.

The pipe is a PITA to remove. The three bolt flange on the back of the cat is impossible to reach from the top (after removing the air box assy.) or the bottom (after placing the car on jackstands).

So, I got the idea to remove the cat, and pull it out from the engine bay, thusly removing the front part of the exhaust. Discovered the second O2 sensor, because I'm an idiot, and never checked. This second O2 sensor is also not fun or easy to remove, and that is where I am stuck.

Long story short, I'm pissy **** pissed at my car and its exhaust system while the shiny stainless one just looks at me from its position propped up in the corner of this room.

The cat is unbolted from the turbo, and is held in place by an O2 sensor that won't budge, and I cant unbolt the broken exhaust piece from the cat.

Any tips on how to pull the hooker outta there?
Remove the lf wheel and lf drivshaft shield. Unbolt the braces holding the flexpipe it necessary. Cut the exhaust near the flex if necessary. Remove the airbox and unbolt the cat from the turbo. Unplug the O2 sensors and cut the zip ties. Snake them around the back of the engine and make sure they are free. Pull the cat and turbo out together from above. Twist while pulling and it will pop right out.

Old 10-04-2010, 08:09 PM
1st Gear

I'm ***** deep in replacing my exhaust right now, and it isn't easy or fun. My flex broke clean in two after the car was revived from months of rest. So it was wrapped in a roof flashing and hose clamp bandage until now.

The pipe is a PITA to remove. The three bolt flange on the back of the cat is impossible to reach from the top (after removing the air box assy.) or the bottom (after placing the car on jackstands).

So, I got the idea to remove the cat, and pull it out from the engine bay, thusly removing the front part of the exhaust. Discovered the second O2 sensor, because I'm an idiot, and never checked. This second O2 sensor is also not fun or easy to remove, and that is where I am stuck.

Long story short, I'm pissy **** pissed at my car and its exhaust system while the shiny stainless one just looks at me from its position propped up in the corner of this room.

The cat is unbolted from the turbo, and is held in place by an O2 sensor that won't budge, and I cant unbolt the broken exhaust piece from the cat.

Any tips on how to pull the hooker outta there?
Holy crap that sucks! Dont get your head down on this, so many times with this car I thought something was impossible, but there's always a way.

I'm sure I will encounter any pain you are going through right now once I settle on an exhaust. I really wanted to keep the car stock, but this exhaust problem has me searching for exhasuts already.

Originally Posted by shortyxc
When you get on it yeah! At idle its not too loud and there isn't much drone. My milltek exhausts is one of my favorite additions actually.
Hmmm milltek, eh? Aren't they some no-name shop out of NY somewhere? Got any vids or pics of that exhaust? Also, how much does it cost?

Originally Posted by Mike-2ptzero
Paul from Socal Euro had the Milltek on his 01 A4 1.8t and it sounded good.
Nice, what other exhausts sound good/quiet? Any input on the APR?

Originally Posted by Tweaked
Remove the lf wheel and lf drivshaft shield. Unbolt the braces holding the flexpipe it necessary. Cut the exhaust near the flex if necessary. Remove the airbox and unbolt the cat from the turbo. Unplug the O2 sensors and cut the zip ties. Snake them around the back of the engine and make sure they are free. Pull the cat and turbo out together from above. Twist while pulling and it will pop right out.
That sounds pretty involved/destructive. But, if that's the only way, what else can you do? I won't count on having useable stock exhaust after I install the aftermarket one that I choose.

It's funny how I still have not identified root cause of the whistle - it could very well be a boost leak -- but the idea of getting an aftermarket exhaust to solve the problem is sooo enticing.

When in doubt, just add mods.

Old 10-04-2010, 08:10 PM
1st Gear

I just bought a grinder and a 4 1/2" cutoff wheel. We'll see how things go tomorrow after I've refilled my patience reservoir with a few Dos Equis and some Chile Verde.

And Milltek being a no-name shop? That's like saying the Nurburgring is a no-name road. Milltek = BAMF

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BQ6a...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgElA...eature=related

Last edited by Cory Smith; 10-04-2010 at 08:20 PM.
Old 10-04-2010, 08:35 PM
1st Gear

I just bought a grinder and a 4 1/2" cutoff wheel. We'll see how things go tomorrow after I've refilled my patience reservoir with a few Dos Equis and some Chile Verde.

And Milltek being a no-name shop? That's like saying the Nurburgring is a no-name road. Milltek = BAMF

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BQ6a...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgElA...eature=related
That is a fine way to address the situation. Though, I'd probably go with some boston lager, or shipyard pumpkinhead this time of year. g/l with the grinding!

Haha - yeah, I'm an uber newb to german cars. Still in learning mode for all of these new brands. The Milltek on the B7 sounds like a BAMF. The second vid just sounds aweful to me, tho.

Old 10-04-2010, 08:38 PM
Administrator

LOL @ that last vid. "Just kidding, here's the Milltek"

Old 10-04-2010, 11:32 PM
3rd Gear

That sounds pretty involved/destructive. But, if that's the only way, what else can you do? I won't count on having useable stock exhaust after I install the aftermarket one that I choose.
How so? If you're replacing the exhaust, it won't matter. The cat will be unharmed. The downpipe unclamps, but sometimes the clamp needs to be cut due to rust. The stock downpipe is prone to rust at the flex and the flange, so much Shokan doesn't even normally have any to sell (or at least Evey time i've called about one).

Old 10-05-2010, 11:25 AM
1st Gear

How so? If you're replacing the exhaust, it won't matter. The cat will be unharmed. The downpipe unclamps, but sometimes the clamp needs to be cut due to rust. The stock downpipe is prone to rust at the flex and the flange, so much Shokan doesn't even normally have any to sell (or at least Evey time i've called about one).
That is the exact problem that I had. The cat is fine. Aside from getting to the back of the cat and the rear O2 sensor, this job isn't really that tough, just a bit time consuming. That and I'm doing this in a gravel driveway, and not some garage with a toolbox 4 feet away.

As far as the clamp goes, the bolts holding it together have a carriage head, with a square under it. The square fits in a pocket in one side of the clamp. I couldn't get them to budge one bit, even after 30 mins of PB Blaster attacking them. I ended up twisting the bolts in two. Will be replacing them with some Grade 8 bolts from Lowes. They won't be the carriage head with the square, but whatever. At least they won't rust solid like the others.

I imagine that I'll have the same problem where the downpipe attaches to the Cat, but we'll see when I get there...

Old 10-05-2010, 12:50 PM
1st Gear

It would be nice to have to option to put the stock exhaust back on for a number of reasons. Also, can someone post pictures of these clamps? I'm 99% sure my "stock" exhaust (unknown history) does not have any clamps. I'm just imagining myself under the car with a hacksaw.

EDIT: IMO they should have designed the exhaust to unbolt in sepearte pieces like in hondas.

Last edited by waltma70; 10-05-2010 at 12:53 PM.
Old 10-05-2010, 02:19 PM
1st Gear

Hahaha, this is what you need.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdYZ91byDHI

Quick Reply: Exhaust systems that are quiet