B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Exhaust systems that are quiet

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 11:37 PM
Site Moderator

I personally loved my Neuspeed exhaust, and you can find them online for $799 or less on sale. Very quiet, stainless steel, and very easy to install.
Borla exhausts are also good, but the pipes aren't as big, so if you wanted to go BT later on i would go with the larger piped neuspeed.

Old 10-01-2010, 12:32 PM

borla cat back well worth the money to stay semi quiet

Old 10-01-2010, 04:10 PM
3rd Gear

[QUOTE=waltma70;1246549]
Originally Posted by Tweaked

How much do you think the stealership would charge to replace the entire exhaust system?
A whole pantload.

Old 10-02-2010, 07:15 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by somebody5788
To check for your leak stick it on jack stands and then have someone stuff some rags in the tail pipes. Then listen / feel for the leak. Guaranteed to work.
That's such a good idea and makes so much sense. Why do I never think of these things? This should let me know immediately where else leaks may be around the flexpipe.

Originally Posted by auditech79
I personally loved my Neuspeed exhaust, and you can find them online for $799 or less on sale. Very quiet, stainless steel, and very easy to install.
Borla exhausts are also good, but the pipes aren't as big, so if you wanted to go BT later on i would go with the larger piped neuspeed.
Thanks for the suggestions! I'm looking of an entire exhaust system (turboback) to replace the bodged-together and inappropriately MIGged flexpipe.

I was looking at the APR 1.8t B5 exhaust on their website and it looks like a quality product. Also, the user videos that I have seen sound nice and quiet.

Originally Posted by allwheelhookup98a4
borla cat back well worth the money to stay semi quiet
Are thre comppanies that just make a downpipe/flecpipe combo? That way I could get a catback and replace the rest of the bastard exhaust system to yield a semi-custom full exhaust.

[QUOTE=Tweaked;1246827]
Originally Posted by waltma70

A whole pantload.
Once I get home from St.Kitts (int'l business travel for 3 weeks = fml) I will get them to quote the replacement just for ******.

Old 10-02-2010, 10:12 PM
3rd Gear

Call Labree for just a downpipe. Borla also includes the dp with flex.

Old 10-03-2010, 01:03 PM
2nd Gear

Take a pic of that ghetto flexpipe...

1000 posts, btw

Old 10-03-2010, 01:28 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by joenelson7687
Take a pic of that ghetto flexpipe...

1000 posts, btw
I will once I get home from overseas next weekend.

I can, however, provide a picture of the flexpipe shortly after I purchased the car. As you can see it is pretty much full of failboat.

Name:  ExhaustFail.jpg
Views: 500
Size:  116.6 KB

Now imagine a new piece with crappy MIG beads and exhaust sealant all over the place.

Old 10-04-2010, 04:17 PM
1st Gear

I'm ***** deep in replacing my exhaust right now, and it isn't easy or fun. My flex broke clean in two after the car was revived from months of rest. So it was wrapped in a roof flashing and hose clamp bandage until now.

The pipe is a PITA to remove. The three bolt flange on the back of the cat is impossible to reach from the top (after removing the air box assy.) or the bottom (after placing the car on jackstands).

So, I got the idea to remove the cat, and pull it out from the engine bay, thusly removing the front part of the exhaust. Discovered the second O2 sensor, because I'm an idiot, and never checked. This second O2 sensor is also not fun or easy to remove, and that is where I am stuck.

Long story short, I'm pissy **** pissed at my car and its exhaust system while the shiny stainless one just looks at me from its position propped up in the corner of this room.

The cat is unbolted from the turbo, and is held in place by an O2 sensor that won't budge, and I cant unbolt the broken exhaust piece from the cat.

Any tips on how to pull the hooker outta there?

Old 10-04-2010, 04:56 PM
1st Gear

Usually get my O2 sensors out by putting the open end wrench on it, then hitting the wrench with a hammer to loosen it. Sounds like you've probably already tried approaches like that though.

Also, you can disconnect the O2 sensor from the other end of the wire. Will that help, or is the sensor itself hanging up on something?

Old 10-04-2010, 05:20 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by CCA4
Sounds AWESOME. Loud though isn't it?
When you get on it yeah! At idle its not too loud and there isn't much drone. My milltek exhaust is one of my favorite additions actually.

Last edited by shortyxc; 10-05-2010 at 11:40 AM.

Quick Reply: Exhaust systems that are quiet