B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Exhaust systems that are quiet

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 08:31 PM
1st Gear
Default Exhaust systems that are quiet

Sooo here is my issue: I have a stock exhaust system with what I believe to be an undetectable leak. The leak has the effect of making an extremely loud whistling sound when I'm boosting > 3.2k RPM or so. I tool the car to Midas and they were not able to repair the issue after several attempts.

I think that going with a new turboback may be the best option that would gaurantee a lower-noise solution.

Which turbo back should I get if I want the following criteria:

1. Quietness - slightly louder than stock is acceptable, but I want something that I can pull into the office with and people not laugh.

2. Ease of install - I'd prefer to do the install myself in the comfort of my own garage.

3. Appearence - I would like to keep a near-stock appearance.

Things I dont really care about: cost, finish, quality of sound.

Old 09-28-2010, 08:49 PM
Administrator

I've been rolling many of the same questions around in my head lately. I want something that is quiet around town and at idle, because my car is a DD and may or may not need to carry my boss/supervisor, clients, etc. at one point or another. However, I want to be able to hear zee German engineering when I stand on the skinny pedal; on the highway for example. I also want a black finish, as there was no other chrome on my car (save for the rings) and I don't intend to add any. After many hours of googling, I've come to the following conclusion:

Such an exhaust does not exist and you're going to have to buld it yourself.

My cats and flexpipes are still good, so i was going to just do a resonator and muffler, both black, both from Flowmaster, and dual black tips, no larger than 3". Can't seem to find that last bit anyplace....

Old 09-28-2010, 09:06 PM
3rd Gear

Your flex section of the down pipe is likely leaking and it gets worse as the engine twists on the mounts under load.

ECS sells a cheapy stock replacement downpipe and clamp. You can install it in your garage with some basic hand tools and rust breaker.

As for CCA4, just paint the muffler and tips black with high-temp paint. I've had sucess in preventing rust and ugliness with cheap replacement mufflers on my Saturns by hosing them down with high-temp paint. Works with silver, Why not black?

Old 09-28-2010, 09:15 PM
4th Gear

Milltek

Old 09-28-2010, 09:18 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by CCA4
I've been rolling many of the same questions around in my head lately. I want something that is quiet around town and at idle, because my car is a DD and may or may not need to carry my boss/supervisor, clients, etc. at one point or another. However, I want to be able to hear zee German engineering when I stand on the skinny pedal; on the highway for example. I also want a black finish, as there was no other chrome on my car (save for the rings) and I don't intend to add any. After many hours of googling, I've come to the following conclusion:

Such an exhaust does not exist and you're going to have to buld it yourself.

My cats and flexpipes are still good, so i was going to just do a resonator and muffler, both black, both from Flowmaster, and dual black tips, no larger than 3". Can't seem to find that last bit anyplace....
I am totally where you are at. It's really an annoying situatution to have. On my 03 RSX, I had 9999 options for exhaust systems and they all simply bolted on. The A4 has a flexpipe an the turbo flange does not look like it's in an easy location to get at.

Do any companies at least make a bolt on kit that does away withth the crappy flexpipe?

Originally Posted by Tweaked
Your flex section of the down pipe is likely leaking and it gets worse as the engine twists on the mounts under load.

ECS sells a cheapy stock replacement downpipe and clamp. You can install it in your garage with some basic hand tools and rust breaker.

As for CCA4, just paint the muffler and tips black with high-temp paint. I've had sucess in preventing rust and ugliness with cheap replacement mufflers on my Saturns by hosing them down with high-temp paint. Works with silver, Why not black?
Yeah that flexpipe is the part that Midas replaced. They MIG welded it on. I noticed that their welds were leaking at idle, so I brought it back and they spackled it with leak sealant.

I really think that it's their crappy flexpipe that is creating this annoying sound. And it's SUPER annoying.

Old 09-29-2010, 02:32 AM
3rd Gear

Why welded in? Its a bolt-in section that is fairly simple to replace. I hope they didn't charge you too much. Also check the DP to straight pipe clamp. They also rust and split.

Old 09-29-2010, 07:48 AM
Administrator

No kits that I know of delete the flex pipes, but I would have to imagine removing them would make your exhaust prone to cracking at the welds.

Originally Posted by Mike-2ptzero
Milltek
Sounds AWESOME. Loud though isn't it?

Old 09-29-2010, 10:32 AM
3rd Gear

[QUOTE=CCA4;1246020]No kits that I know of delete the flex pipes, but I would have to imagine removing them would make your exhaust prone to cracking at the welds.

QUOTE]

Oh, derfinitley. In fact, bad engine mounts are usually the cause of a cracked or broken flex section to begin with. But like I said, the down pipe bolts in between the center pipe and the cat. There is no reason to weld in a new flex section unless you have some strange or expensive custom down pipe.

Old 09-30-2010, 10:01 PM
1st Gear

[QUOTE=Tweaked;1246049]
Originally Posted by CCA4
No kits that I know of delete the flex pipes, but I would have to imagine removing them would make your exhaust prone to cracking at the welds.

QUOTE]

Oh, derfinitley. In fact, bad engine mounts are usually the cause of a cracked or broken flex section to begin with. But like I said, the down pipe bolts in between the center pipe and the cat. There is no reason to weld in a new flex section unless you have some strange or expensive custom down pipe.

Crap.. guess I'll have to check the motor mounts next time i'm under the car.

Also, if the stock design is meant to have a modular (bolt in) flexpipe, then there's some bastardized hybrid of an exhaust in my car. Regardless, the flex section has MIG welds all over it, and it looks pretty cheapo.

How much do you think the stealership would charge to replace the entire exhaust system?

Old 09-30-2010, 10:53 PM
3rd Gear

To check for your leak stick it on jack stands and then have someone stuff some rags in the tail pipes. Then listen / feel for the leak. Guaranteed to work.

Quick Reply: Exhaust systems that are quiet