B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

EPIC, pc in car kit.

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 11:31 AM
1st Gear
Talking deleted

deleted

Last edited by foxracing4500; 01-12-2024 at 11:56 PM.
Old 11-12-2011, 11:42 AM
1st Gear

hmmm - this is kinda cool. Only cool if you had a screen or something. Who the **** knows where you are suppose to connect those wires.

Also, it says its doesnt come with an OS. has "2000" RAM - im guessing they mean 2024. 2 gigs? No CD rom drive, which means good luck trying to boot from a USB to put a basic OS on that. I guess if you could fit it into the glove box that would be sick.

It cool as ****. But i dont understand the practicality of it. Running a VAG com will driving? Turbo Timers?

Old 11-12-2011, 11:49 AM
AudiForums WilkommenVagen Direktor

power connector has to go to an ITX rated power supply (?). The ITX power supply output is 12V, so maybe there is a way to wire it up direct. is the other wire for a switch? or is that a light?

it's an interesting idea, but with the processing power that is in my phone/tablet/netbook...etc. seems impractical.

Old 11-12-2011, 11:53 AM

considering its a normal mono nothing special either
A - open case swap shitting power supply out for legit one and hook up via 12v
B - i think you can build your own for cheaper, i just built a barbone system for 600 bucks with 8gb ram/i7 with hyper thread/ ssd. but if you don't know much about computers this doesn't seem all that bad other than it doesn't come with a hdd/ 2gb ram/ no optical drive.

Old 11-12-2011, 02:03 PM
1st Gear

The point of running these is you hide the pc box somewhere in the trunk, or behind the trunk paneling. You then install a touchscreen up front where your headunit would go. The computer is wired to the electrical system, and have it turn on when you put the key in ACC or have the car on.

You then put an OS on it, very simple to do with a USB flashdrive or external usb cd/dvd drive. Your sound-system and everything is wired to the computers sound card.

Then you start up car - let OS boot, then use whatever media player you would - lets say you would put windows 7 on this, and play your music like that.

You could also buy a usb extender and run 1 or 2 up front and hide them nicely somewhere, then you could plug in an external HDD, or just transfer movies and stuff onto the drive the pc has, and you have a movie system right there.

And lasty very cool thing about car pc's is - i dont know if this one has a wifi card built in or not, but you can get a usb one for like $10 plug it into the pc before you mount everything behind a panel or something. Now when you pull into lets say a starbucks parking lot = Internet surfing from your car. Also could get a wireless keyboard and mouse to use when your doing that.

You can also buy a cheap gps device and have it display that also, and one more thing you can do is get a usb bluetooth adapter, have that plugged in. Then with your smart phone (with data plan), have your phone connect to the computers bluetooth whenever you get in the car and tether the data, now you have internet when your driving on the touchscreen or for a passenger to use.

Things like these are nothing new - people have been doing this for a while now. Also most times its better to buy premade ones then build your own because like this one on ebay, its all nice and sleek mounted in a small amplifer like looking enclosure.

Good website to check out this kind of stuff - http://www.mp3car.com/

Last edited by 01quattro; 11-12-2011 at 02:07 PM.
Old 11-12-2011, 02:19 PM

theres this thing called a smart phone.
it can download music from anywhere
hook up to aux or what have you on in dash screen and go. unless the pc has a satellite and can get the music or videos from any location i think the smartphone makes a better choice.

Old 11-12-2011, 03:04 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by jonbonesjones
theres this thing called a smart phone.
it can download music from anywhere
hook up to aux or what have you on in dash screen and go. unless the pc has a satellite and can get the music or videos from any location i think the smartphone makes a better choice.
I agree.....the coolness factor is huge, but in real life, a smart phone can do all those things just as well......and its portable.

Old 11-12-2011, 05:30 PM

and cheaper and more awesome - who has the valentine one detector and the radaractive app?

Old 11-12-2011, 05:50 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by jonbonesjones
and cheaper and more awesome - who has the valentine one detector and the radaractive app?
dont have either..... but car to elaborate?

Old 11-12-2011, 05:56 PM

Radaractive | Speed Trap Information Network

its a speed trap network so anytime someone sees a speed trap it will show up on your gps in the app. say your going down highwayv 7683 someone with this app went down there an hour ago and passed a speed trap. that trap is now in your app and will show up on the in app gps and will alert you of upcoming trap. It has every red light camera info also. Its also free

Quick Reply: EPIC, pc in car kit.