B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Engineering Flaws Behind the 1.8T

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 09:55 AM
2nd Gear

Starting this thread was his first post.. and a member since 06.. but whatever.. i just cant believe you havnt sold your car, and bought something else? You still hold onto it even though you say youve had rediculous problems.. id say its time to call it quits and go buy something new and american like a chevy cruze... ha

Old 04-10-2011, 10:41 AM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by fastcompany
asking the customer about oil changes they replied they have been following the rec. service intervals of 10 or 15k.
When the hell has Audi ever suggested oil changes of 10k-15k miles? I have owned an Audi A4 1.8t for 11 years now and that is news to me. Plus anyone that has owned at least 1 car before buying their Audi knows normal oil needs to be changed at least every 5k miles, only when running synthetic coil can you go 10k-15k and audi doesn't put that stuff in the engine from the factory.

11 years of owning my car I have yet to have 1 issue with sludge. My first 2 years of owning it I put nearly 100k miles on it without any issues and during that time I took it to the drag strip every single weekend.

@ worstaudieva - If you have had that much problems with the car then you bought a LEMON. Odd thing is out of all the Audi cars the B5 A4 1.8t seems to be kept the longest, most of the people that own one have had them since they bought them brand new and nearly all of them have not had any of the problems you have had.

Old 04-10-2011, 10:47 AM
Administrator

Money spent or not, best or worst engine, whatever - it could be, it might not be. Who knows? Not my problem or yours. An argument could be made for any Audi engine being the best they ever made - it all depends on how you define "best." Doesn't matter. All I care about is that the pissing match in this thread stops on all counts.

Old 04-10-2011, 10:53 AM
4th Gear

An engine being used for 9+ years cant be too bad. lol

Funny thing is the 1.8t engine has had less issues then the 2.0T.

Old 04-10-2011, 11:15 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by worstaudieva
Most of you idiots commenting to this have joined this forum within the last few months which means you're a new Audi owner...You'll see very soon what I'm talking about.
Wrong again, there you go making assumptions. Yes, I am new to this forum, however I have owned over a dozen Audi/VW's over the past 25 years. I also owned an independent used car dealership years ago and I have owned and driven just about everything out there from Pontiac Sunfires to Honda Accords to Porsche 911s. And yes, I know them all mechanically on a very intimate level too. I have been turning my own wrenches this whole time. I have yet to find a car that doesn't have a mechanical design flaw here and there but Audis are some of the best built cars out there for the money, hands down! There are only two manufactures that I feel have done a better job and this is Honda and Porsche. The Honda is is built well but is boring the drive and just doesn't perform like an Audi. And while the Porsche may be better designed and built you will also spend 3 or 4 times the money.

I'm sorry Worstaudieva, but you are a moron and you will not sway anybody on this forum not to buy an Audi. The only vehicle I love more than my Audi is my Ducati 996. I am impressed though that you were able to turn on a computer and find your way here. That is quite an accomplishment for a guy that can't tell his a$$ from a hole in the ground.

Old 04-10-2011, 11:42 AM
4th Gear

I'm just going to leave this here and let the world decide for itself
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ward's_10_Best_Engines

Old 04-10-2011, 12:09 PM
1st Gear

sorry for grouping together. audi is 10k on synthetic oil bmw is 15k i worked for audi only 2 years ago...its was 10k intervals then.

Old 04-10-2011, 12:13 PM
Administrator

I'm gonna go over to mustangforums and try to convince them that RWD sucks, anyone wanna come with?

Old 04-10-2011, 12:37 PM
4th Gear

HAHA, you're on your own on this one, Chris.

Old 04-10-2011, 12:42 PM
Tech Slut

Originally Posted by CCA4
I'm gonna go over to mustangforums and try to convince them that RWD sucks, anyone wanna come with?
This.

Quick Reply: Engineering Flaws Behind the 1.8T