B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Engineering Flaws Behind the 1.8T

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 08:47 PM
2nd Gear

lol i love this.

you are a ******* retard.

Try putting in some decent oil you *** dumpster

Old 04-09-2011, 08:57 PM
Tech Slut

Originally Posted by fastcompany
ok this is the b/s behind the sludge problem. have i seen the problem....yes i have. does audi say 10,000 mile intervals on changing oil.. yes they do. should you wait 10k... no synthetic oil changes every 5k miles YOU WILL NEVER HAVE A SLUDGE PROBLEM. period. i work on a few customer cars with close to 300k on them. some i have had to repair internally for other reasons. has there been any sludge found at all? NO. actually the engines were spotless. ask for some of the hoses needing replaced. every company has this issue. rubber hoses with hot oil in them break down and become soft and goey over time. i have also seen sludge problems with bmw. do you know they say 15k for services... they are usually clanking and ticking right out of warranty. when they roll into my shop they usually get 2 cans of engine flush and a couple oil changes and we advice them on 5k changes from here on out.
Yes, if they are maintained, and oil change intervals were kept below 5k (I recomend 3k or less depending on driving style), then sludge doesnt even exist. I have pulled valve covers and oil pans on several 1.8t's with various mileage (low to high) that were well taken care of, and the head were all clean with only the golden staining from the oil, as well as the pick up tubes being PERFECT, as if they were new out of the package.

As for the ridiculous service interval that Audi and BMW practice, its very stupid. My E90 325i had new lifters installed on BMW's dime due to "valve tick" and then less than a year later, when the noise returned, they installed a brand new and updated head at their cost again. Seems a lil counterproductive to me.

Old 04-09-2011, 09:36 PM
3rd Gear

Guys this guy is here to spam our post he probably get's paid to post **** up notice he has only two post and has nothing else to say and $20,000 thats 4 times more than what a audi b5 is ignore this post and move on

and we all know run good synthetic oil and the sludge promblem is gone end of story

Old 04-09-2011, 11:32 PM
1st Gear

Not here to spam anything. I've been quiet about this but have been through more bullshit with Audi.
Not just a sludge problem.
And any of you folks that work for Audi disguised as owners can suck my ***.
3 timing belts, transmission replaced, sludge problem, steering rack, 3 turbo's, etc, etc, etc...it goes on and on and on.
All happening with flawless maintenance.
If I can talk anyone from owning a car that clearly has engineering flaws...This is my mission.

I haven't been on here but will now.

Last edited by worstaudieva; 04-10-2011 at 01:30 AM.
Old 04-09-2011, 11:52 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by worstaudieva
If I can talk anyone from owning a car that clearly has engineering flaws...This is my mission.
What an ef'ing moron. If he wants to talk engineering flaws he obviously hasn't owned anything made by the big 3. I'd take my 10 year old Audi with 130k over a brand new dodge any day.

Old 04-10-2011, 12:07 AM
1st Gear

lol, this dude needs to gtfo

Old 04-10-2011, 12:30 AM
2nd Gear

Not here to spam anything. I've been quiet about this but have been through more bullshit with Audi.
Not just a sludge problem.
And any of you folks that work for Audi disguised as owners can suck my ***.
3 timing belts, transmission replaced, sludge problem, steering rack etc, etc, etc...it goes on and on and on.
All happening with flawless maintenance.

I haven't been on here but will now.
How can you say you replaced timing belts and count that as a problem. It is literally required maintenance. You do realize this in an Audi forum people on here drive these every day and love them and more than likely would drive anything else. Why are you preaching to the wrong people go stand out front an Audi dealer and tell people this if that is your goal. People have brains these days and realize how great Audi's are and have driven them past 300k. Sludge is the result of bad maintenance I would say do **** right and you won't have problems, go do some research and gather up an argument.

Old 04-10-2011, 12:47 AM
1st Gear

Most of you idiots commenting to this have joined this forum within the last few months which means you're a new Audi owner...You'll see very soon what I'm talking about.

Flawless maintenance means synthetic oil changes EVERY 3,000 and everything else that makes a car run and look good.
No **** replacing timing belts is normal maintenance. When they snap before the manufacturer suggests, that's a problem.
The design of a ZERO tolerance timing belt is just the stupidest idea any engineer could ever have.
Everyone telling me about all other cars that have sludge problems, go look and see how many cars have a ZERO tolerance timing belt.
I've already been through that class action lawsuit, morons
The 1.8T if a Failure in Engineering and Audi would rather let their owners sue them than own up to engineering flaws.

Old 04-10-2011, 01:03 AM
1st Gear

Most of you idiots commenting to this have joined this forum within the last few months which means you're a new Audi owner...You'll see very soon what I'm talking about.
Your join date is 2006, yet you only have 4 posts. Do you not see the problem here?

Old 04-10-2011, 01:06 AM
1st Gear

Engineering Failure Example:
Lower door moldings with metal tracks.
FAIL (Which I bet half of you commenting, haven't replaced with new plastic tracks. I crack the **** up when I see 50%+ of 97-01 B5's with hanging, missing or no door moldings. Start with replacing those before you start commenting here with somebody who has bee through everything with Audi corporate including talking to Johan de Nysschen and all his flunkies.)

Quick Reply: Engineering Flaws Behind the 1.8T