B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Engine Won't Get Hot

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 05:03 PM
1st Gear
Default Engine Won't Get Hot

Hi, i live in florida and we recently had our first cold front move in..... it only got down to 50 but still it's florida and that's cold..... I'm concerned because i had the heat on in my car and was driving down the interstate and over time, the heat was getting colder and colder. I looked and my engine temp gauge was also climbing down. At the end of a 30min drive to tampa my temp gauge was on the C... Please help in any ideas as to what this could be.

Thanks
-Tyler

Old 10-18-2009, 05:38 PM

My guess is your heater core since you never have to use your heat there is most likely a blockage

Old 10-18-2009, 05:45 PM
1st Gear

But would that also make the temp gauge go down? and the heat in the car works when you come to a stop like in the parking garage, the gauge went back up to the middle like always and then it got hot in the car too.

Auto zone suggests the Thermostat. This isn't expensive but i don't know how to replace it.

-Tyler

Old 10-18-2009, 05:57 PM

Yeh it is the t-stat then if the heat works when you stop

Old 10-18-2009, 07:24 PM
1st Gear

Have any insight as to how to change this??? or know of any forums / posts that discuss this? can you please put the links in your reply. Thanks

-Tyler

Old 10-18-2009, 07:47 PM

I just changed the thermostat on my car a few weeks ago. It right up against the block behind the alternator and just below the intake manifold. Kind of a PITA to get to but fairly easy once you get everything out of the way.

Old 10-18-2009, 11:32 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by screamin demons
But would that also make the temp gauge go down?
yep the thermostat is stuck open. unfortunately its not very easy to change because of the location.

Old 10-18-2009, 11:37 PM
1st Gear

unfortunately i don't have the cash to pay someone to change it. I'm looking for any advise you can give to help me change it. I ordered it online and it'll be here tomorrow. I'm hoping to change it tuesday when i'm done with my classes. Any pointers or specific tools i'll need will be much appreciated.

Thanks
-Tyler

Old 10-18-2009, 11:56 PM

I took the throttle body off and moved the hose out of the way, loosened the alternator and move it out of the way and i think there was a little brace or something in there that I also had to remove just to get to the thermostat. From there I used a ratchet with a pretty long extension to get the 3 bolts off on the thermostat housing. Replaced it and put everything back together. I have no idea if thats the easiest way to do it but its the way i did it. Hope that helps.

Old 10-19-2009, 12:00 AM
1st Gear

Ya thanks. I just went outside, which is getting colder, and took a look at it. I was under the impressing it was at the end of the motor wedged against the firewall. This shouldn't be too bad then. does the fuel rail or injectors have to come off to remove the intake??

-Tyler

Quick Reply: Engine Won't Get Hot