B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

ENGINE SWAP

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 02:59 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: ENGINE SWAP

How many of these people wanting 500+ hp cars have ever driven a 300 hp car? I have a feeling 9/10 of these people have no idea what that power is worth. These threads are making me naucious. I think I'll stop reading any thread with the words "swap" or "horsepower" in the title.

Old 04-15-2008, 08:50 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: feerocknok

How many of these people wanting 500+ hp cars have ever driven a 300 hp car? I have a feeling 9/10 of these people have no idea what that power is worth. These threads are making me naucious. I think I'll stop reading any thread with the words "swap" or "horsepower" in the title.
Wow. The guy simply asked a question, regarding motor swaps, what is so wrong about that?

I have driven some pretty powerful cars in my time, and lived a very long time. But, I wouldn't assume someone, let's say a 19-year-old lad asking for advice, has NOT driven cars more powerful than the ones I have, despite the fact I'm over twice his age. He's young enough to be my son, but it doesn't mean he has no right to want horsepower at his disposal, and I do.

Just a little consideration goes a long way. If one doesn't feel they can help out, or advise, then sometimes, it's best just to ignore a thread, no shaking.

Old 04-15-2008, 09:35 AM
1st Gear

not exactly! a bt kit will run u like 2k easily if not more, you have to do a couple upgrades to that 1.8t, if you canget your hands on a vr6 then thats the best way to go if you want to produce realnumbers! then bt that and then you will have a fast a$$ car with a sick engine, that you can brag about just by the sick sound it makes, go to youtube and put vr6 a4. you'll like it.

Old 04-15-2008, 12:23 PM
5th Gear

ORIGINAL: erthqke

Ok so i would like to modify the 1.8T, I can spend overall around 3k on the engine. I was thinking a chip and intake and exhaust... these are just my ideas so far. I am a bass doctor, meaning that I only specialize in electronics and bass, so this is not my area; however i would like to make around 400 to 500+ hp. I need all the ideas I can get to make easy hp without doing huge mods or engine swaps. I am not doing quarter mile races or dragging. I simply want ~ 500hp and a street recognizable vehicle. I still need all of the help I can get, so please post as many ideas as you can! Thanks guys I appreciate it.

3k will not get you 500hp. a full 3076r setup is gona run you at least 5-6k, and thats doing all the work yourself and not worrying about emissions.

sounds to me like a 71r elim is gona be your best bet. you'll be at ~400chp, but it'll be half the price of the 3076r setup and street legal (if u want it to be). Mike@DTH also sells elim setups, probly the cheapest you'll find.

Old 04-15-2008, 05:22 PM
1st Gear

that sounds like a good idea so what is a 71r elim setup? and who is Mike@DTH / where can i contact him

Old 04-15-2008, 05:37 PM
1st Gear

the 71r elim is a Garrett 2871r ball-bearing turbo that can generate a lot of power in b5 a4 applications. Its a pretty big turbo, a lot bigger than the stock k03. Normally when you start getting into bigger turbos you'll need to add a compatible exhaust manifold and turbo back system to make it fit, as the higher flow of gasses necessitates larger ports on the turbo and manifold so flow isn't restricted.

The thing with the 71r elim is that it's the same turbo with stock-sized flanges, so that you can still make a lot of power while using the stock or stock-ish exhaust setup. It will save you a lot of money that you would normally have to spend on a custom manifold and exhaust setup. The only thing is that this results in less power output than the normal 2871r.

Old 04-15-2008, 07:06 PM
5th Gear

ORIGINAL: erthqke

that sounds like a good idea so what is a 71r elim setup? and who is Mike@DTH / where can i contact him

its the 71mm compressor wheel and housing from the 2871r, but with a smaller turbine and stock k03 flange. so it bolts right up to stock cat and manifold. your gona want to get a better manifold if you want 400hp tho, which Mike can also get you. if you want the full list of parts you'll need for a 71r elim setup check out the link i posted above.

and Mike- https://www.audiforums.com/showProfile.asp?memid=51447 pm him. here's his site- http://shop.dthaus.com/main.sc

Old 04-15-2008, 07:54 PM
1st Gear

ok thanks... so i see mikes site where is the link for the things i need to go along with the 71r?

Old 04-15-2008, 08:06 PM
5th Gear

contact him using the first link. just go down to pm and send him one. just tell him you want the 71r elim, and he'll get you set up with everything

Old 04-19-2008, 11:30 AM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: feerocknok

Well I'm 19 almost 20 and have driven quite a few high hp cars. A few of my favorites: 580rwhp 300zx tt, porsche GT3, 450rwhp rx-7 fd, 300awhp bug eye wrx, 400fwhp civic hatch, and a bunch more. I have been tossing around the idea of either buying an S4 and throwing some K04s on there, doing a BT on the 1.8t or a VR6T build/swap. Some people think their invincible with their awd system and a ton of hp, its not like that at all with over 400awhp even 300awhp.

BTW nice list of info on the A4.

Quick Reply: ENGINE SWAP