B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

engine and snub mounts

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 02:03 PM
1st Gear
Default engine and snub mounts

01' 2.8 quattro

Im in the works of doing the timing belt/tensioner seals/everything else on the front of the damn motor... and noticed a "mount" of the sort down by the alternator, pointed towards the front of the car. fits into a cavity in the rad support. is that the snub mount? if it is, mines trashed. i was looking into the upgraded one from ECS and after looking at how its arranged on my car, im trying to figure out how its at all beneficial. its not connected to anything. just the motor. does it just bounce around in that cavity in the rad support and limit the movement of the engine under load? how much "better" can it really be by upgrading?

on a second note, since i have the whole front end of the car off already, i was thinking about replacing the motor mounts. is that still going to be a huge pain in my ***? what options are out there? My previous car was an rx7 and i had solid alum motor and tranny mounts in it. i absolutely LOVED how responsive it made the car. but seeing as how my audi is a little more "classy" than the FC, i dont want all the vibrations from the alum mounts. Ive read about people using rs4 mounts, are those a valid upgrade? I want something pretty stiff. but i dont want every piece of trim in the car vibrating from the engine mounts.

Last edited by livinglegend2100; 02-27-2012 at 02:05 PM.
Old 02-27-2012, 02:39 PM
1st Gear

Side note. This is where the snub mount fits when the rad support is installed. Im looking at a few snub mounts from 034 and they all come with a bracket thats shaped like this space, with a bung for the snub mount to fit into. This leads me to believe my car is missing the other half for the snub mount to fit into... the car was a prior salvage but everything seems to have been replaced to OE spec. except this. is there supposed to be a bracket for the snub mount to sit in on the rad support?

Name:  tn.jpg
Views: 607
Size:  39.9 KB

Old 02-27-2012, 03:16 PM
1st Gear

another quick question, since im going to order teh snub from 034, i was thinking about ordering the upgraded trans mounts from them as well. their website states that i will need 2 of the transmission mounts for my car. i checked it out on AudiDIY and the writeup for transmission mounts only shows them replacing one transmission mount (granted it appears to be on a 1.8). whats up with that? Do i need to order two, being that its a 2.8?

Old 02-27-2012, 04:54 PM
AudiForums WilkommenVagen Direktor

I can answer your question about the snub mount because I have experience there. Yes what you describe is your snub mount.

Yes, if yours is trashed you should replace it while you have the front of the car off.

No, on our six cylinder engines the snub mount is not as critical for damping engine movement as it is in the four bangers.

Yes that hole under your radiator is where the snub mound sits. I don't recall exactly what mine looks like but it is definitely NOT what I would consider to be a tight fit. I'm not sure if the cage you describe for the 034 mount would be necessary or beneficial but I think it goes back to the fact that on our V6 cars it is not as critical.

hope that helps

-not an expert just an enthusiast

Old 02-27-2012, 05:02 PM
1st Gear

did you notice whether there is supposed to be a bracket that the snub mount sits in or not? because looking at my snub mount, and the spot where it fits into the rad support, there has to be 3/4" air gap around the mount and the rad support. but the o34 kit has a bracket that bolts into that spot and the snub mount fits snug into it so theres no free room for it to slop around.

ill probably order it anyway. figure it couldnt hurt for the engine to be a held a little bit tighter.

anyone know about the transmission mounts? how many are there?

Last edited by livinglegend2100; 02-27-2012 at 05:04 PM.
Old 02-27-2012, 05:49 PM
Administrator

Be sure you're not accidentally ordering the snub mount kit for the 1.8T. The cage you're describing sounds very much like the bracket that bolts to the oil pan on the newer 1.8T's. You can see it at about 7 o'clock on the viscous fan in this picture:

Name:  2011-12-26_17-26-42_349.jpg
Views: 1968
Size:  140.5 KB

The (minimal) added vibration will be well worth the reduction in drive train slop, especially if you're rowing your own gears. If you want to do the other two engine mounts, the RS4 mounts would be a great fit. 034 offers their own line of mounts as well, but both flavors are still stiffer than the RS4 mounts IIRC.

Old 02-27-2012, 06:42 PM
1st Gear

Yea i dont mind a little vibration. I like being able to "feel" the car a little more when im driving it. I just dont miss my *** going numb after driving the rx7 for more than 30 min. lol But the mount bracket from 034 looks like it bolts to the opening on the rad support where the OE snub mount resides. The description on their site was for a b5 2.8 A4, heres the link:

Snub Mount With Bracket, B5 2.8L V6 - 034 MOTORSPORT

Do i spot some Natty Ice in this picture? lol

Last edited by livinglegend2100; 02-27-2012 at 06:45 PM.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:17 PM
Administrator

LOL It's Natty LIGHT. Don't judge me

I see that bracket now, looks like it bolts over top of that gap in the core support in that picture you posted earlier. That should work fine!

Old 02-28-2012, 01:25 AM
1st Gear

yea thats what im thinking. seems like it should do the job just fine. gonna buy their tranny mounts next payday. still debating what to do with the motor mounts. the rs4 mounts are way too expensive, and everything else ive sounds looks pretty janky. what are all the cool kids using these days?

Old 02-28-2012, 07:56 AM
Administrator

The RS4 mounts are a pretty well accepted standard, though you're right they aren't cheap. Stern and 034 Motorsport both have their own line of mounts as well, but with your concerns about vibration and harshness I'd be wary of them. You can find the 034 mounts here and the Stern version here

Quick Reply: engine and snub mounts