B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Engine Problem =/

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 04:04 PM
1st Gear
Thumbs down Engine Problem =/

Hello people, so heres the problem i been having, my RPMs after i press the clutch go way too low and the car dies, i dont think its the MAF because i changed it once and its not the same thing as the maf, im thinking maybe its this other sensor by the intake, i changed it but it was some cheap brand Huco...so i dont know...maybe im wrong and it can be other things, the car drives normal, just when i go to stop and i press the clutch the RPMs drop more than 900 and the car dies...so any suggestions what it can be? any help I apreciate it. thanks

Old 09-07-2008, 05:01 PM
Banned

Have you scanned the ECU for codes? Do you have a check engine light? That would be the first thing I would do, rather than randomly replacing parts like the "some other sensor by the intake".

You could possibly need a throttle adaptation, if your car is DBW. o2 sensors can cause a back to idle stall. Had a 90 GLi Jetta with that very same problem. Someone used a silicon lubricant on the idle stabilizer. Silicon destroys o2 sensors.

I could fire out all kinds of things, but until you scan the ECU for codes, we will not be able to get to the root of the problem.

Old 09-07-2008, 06:00 PM
5th Gear

rafa!!! haven't seen you in a while, i was wondering if you fell off the surface of the earth haha. i think it's either the idle stabilizer or the throttle body but either way, do what jradrock said and scan for codes even if your light isn't on

Old 09-09-2008, 09:07 PM
1st Gear
Exclamation

Originally Posted by hiwords
rafa!!! haven't seen you in a while, i was wondering if you fell off the surface of the earth haha. i think it's either the idle stabilizer or the throttle body but either way, do what jradrock said and scan for codes even if your light isn't on
Hey wuz up bro yea havent been on in a while, havent done much on the car either...
well first, i have a problem scaning my car..i dont know whats messed up..i have vag cable from ebay, and it doesnt work, the autozone scanner also couldnt scan, took two shop and they said somethings wrong it might be the plug or wires, so yea no scan for me =/
anyways, the car dies everytime i press the clutch, the RPMs gets too low and it dies.
One other problem is that the car got week, its only boosting 3-4 PSI and i used to hold it a 14-15 PSI. any tips guys?

Old 09-09-2008, 09:15 PM

How your vac pressure holdin?

Old 09-09-2008, 09:17 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by ryanylva
How your vac pressure holdin?
Normal, its at 20 the vac

and answering the other question someone asked..
I do NOT have a check engine light.

Old 09-09-2008, 09:50 PM
2nd Gear

try doing a thorttle body allignment. it couldnt hurt. if your only at 4psi it sounds like your car may have gone into limp mode.

Old 09-09-2008, 10:00 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by 01afour
try doing a thorttle body allignment. it couldnt hurt. if your only at 4psi it sounds like your car may have gone into limp mode.
I done it already but I'll try again =/

Old 09-09-2008, 10:05 PM
3rd Gear

yea try a TB alignment. disconnect the battery for like 15 minuits, then reconnect it. turn the key to on but not start the engine. let the TB find its bearings for like 30 seconds. after that press the gas pedal all the way down the let it go smoothly, do this a few times. turn the car off, then start the engine. see if it still happens after that.

also wouldnt hurt to run a can of seafoam thru the gas tank to make sure your injectors arent dirty. that can sometimes cause rough idle or stalls at idle.

Old 09-10-2008, 08:19 AM
Banned

When did you notice that you could not scan the ECU? Was it before or after your "Speed Tuning Chip".

How long have you had the chip before these problems came along. Was the chip soldered onto the board? I would pull your ECU out as a quick check. Look at the the pins for the connection and make sure that none are bent or broken off. Make sure that the harness is secured properly (latched into place). Not being able to scan the ECU is a big indication of a big problem. The wires or plug should not really go bad unless someone was up in that car doing something they probably shouldn't have. A car that won't idle would most likely triggering a check engine light, because something is possibly not functioning properly and you don't seem to be getting a CEL. See if anyone in your area could possibly do a quick ECU swap to see if you are having an ECU problem. This is something that won't cost you anything and might get you closer to your fix.

Try the stuff that's free first. TB adaptation, ECU check and swap, check spark plugs and gap and then update us on your findings.

Quick Reply: Engine Problem =/