B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Engine Mounts

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 09:31 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Engine Mounts

Do you know if the mounts functionalitydeclines over their age? Or are they good up until they leak?

Old 03-20-2008, 09:35 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: manufan

Do you know if the mounts functionality declines over their age? Or are they good up until they leak?
Well, I'm not sure...I would guess that their functionality declines with time, but that they don't necessarily need to be replaced until they start leaking. It's hard to say though, because the rubber tops on both of mine were cracked and split in a couple of places, but the fluid leaks from the bottom. I'm sure someone wiser'll chime in though.

Old 03-20-2008, 10:22 PM
4th Gear

nice, you do them yourself or pay someone and did you also do your snub. ive replaced everything but the engine mounts so those few small vibrations are either those or the track density tranny mounts and snub. also how much for your projector lamps. id buy them,

Old 03-20-2008, 10:28 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: sineo

The difference is night and day! I was having a sickening shudder when shifting under hard acceleration - gone. Vibration at idle strong enough to be felt through the floorboards - drastically reduced. There was also what felt like hesitation when accelerating from a stop...turns out, that was from the shot-to-**** engine mounts, too. The car is way, way better to drive! If you have any of the above symptoms, definitely look into replacing those mounts.
Did your stearing wheel shake when at a stop? I think you are describing my problem if so. So did you use a DIY for this? Can you place a link to it if you did please?

Old 03-20-2008, 10:31 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: SAudi

nice, you do them yourself or pay someone and did you also do your snub. ive replaced everything but the engine mounts so those few small vibrations are either those or the track density tranny mounts and snub. also how much for your projector lamps. id buy them,
I did them myself and no, I didn't do the snub mount...I've heard it produces a lot of vibration with the tip transmission.

I'm asking $110 shipped for the Depos, but I have to mention that the lateral adjustment screw on the passenger side headlight is probably stripped. This doesn't make them any less functional and the beam pattern is fine, they're just harder to align...I just loosen the screws and move the whole housing to adjust. I ordered new corner lights, but they haven't come yet, so they'll be brand new for whoeever buys the lights.

Old 03-20-2008, 10:33 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: less_of_me
Did your stearing wheel shake when at a stop?
Yes, it did.

I used these:

http://forums.audiworld.com/s4/msgs/1945094.phtml
http://www.audiworld.com/tech/eng57.shtml

Old 03-20-2008, 11:08 PM
1st Gear

Thank you much

Old 03-21-2008, 11:39 PM
4th Gear

ORIGINAL: sineo

I did them myself and no, I didn't do the snub mount...I've heard it produces a lot of vibration with the tip transmission.

I'm asking $110 shipped for the Depos, but I have to mention that the lateral adjustment screw on the passenger side headlight is probably stripped. This doesn't make them any less functional and the beam pattern is fine, they're just harder to align...I just loosen the screws and move the whole housing to adjust. I ordered new corner lights, but they haven't come yet, so they'll be brand new for whoeever buys the lights.
oh please do a write up of engine mount replacements for the 2.8, its pretty straigh forward but... also are the headlights one pice or 2 piece. i really dont feel like cutting my fender but...

Old 03-21-2008, 11:59 PM
3rd Gear

oh please do a write up of engine mount replacements for the 2.8, its pretty straigh forward but... also are the headlights one pice or 2 piece. i really dont feel like cutting my fender but...
It really wouldn't be useful...the process was exactly the same as in the DIYs that are already out there. I'd be happy to clarify anything you read in them or help if you get stuck, though.

The Depos are two piece. These:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/AUDI-...spagenameZWDVW

http://s8.photobucket.com/albums/a47...t=DSCF0454.jpg
http://s8.photobucket.com/albums/a47...t=DSCF0514.jpg

Old 03-22-2008, 10:46 AM
3rd Gear

I noticed my car was clunking slightly last night when accelerating hard from 50 mph to 75 mph. At first I was thinking maybe the new control arms/ball joints or tierod went bad already on the passenger side from all the potholes in the roads out here, but I guess it could be the engine or trans mounts. I am looking into it later today when I get the motivation.
Congrats on finally getting the one piece headlights like I told you to a few months ago - when you said the clear corners were the "last stop", then one fell out.

Quick Reply: Engine Mounts