B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

end-of-life decisions -- recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2019, 09:01 PM
1st Gear
Default end-of-life decisions -- recommendations?

1996 A4 Quattro sedan, 2.8L 12valve, 5-speed non-tip automatic,

The good:

Just under 111K miles on odometer.
I am the second owner. Bought it directly from the first owner 13 years ago, w/ 66K on the odometer. Good maintenance history.
Comes with original owner's manual and full print version of Bentley repair manual. (You'll need it -- see below.)
I might even throw in my Schwaben cam lock bar for 2.8 12-valve and 30-valve engines

New ignition system -- module, coilpack, wires, plugs
Passed biennial California smog with ease in July. (Always passes easily.)

Body straight and sound. One-piece headlight conversion done a few years ago.
4-year-old MAACO "better grade" paint holding up very well. Great looking car.
Minor rust spot on right side of rear window; otherwise clean and rust-free.
Sport steering wheel, sunroof, other options.

Full rebuild of front suspension and CV joints done 5 years ago, along with (second) full transmission pan drop and fluid/ATF change.
Timing belt and water pump done about 6 years ago.

The bad:

Major electrical short in power window circuit, including fried wires and melted insulation.
I have replaced the driver's door wiring harness, and everything from the door into the A pillar junction panel is now good.
About a dozen wires from the A pillar junction to the under-dash relay panel need to be replaced (replacement harness unavailable).
I have been working on it, and I know how to fix it, but it will take some time and patience to complete the repair.
Car can easily be made driveable, but windows won't work w/o finishing the wiring repair.
Heater and AC work, but not nearly as effectively as on my B5 Passat wagon.

The ugly:

The interior probably rates about a C. The front seats are shot, but look good w/ $70 leather seat covers from Pep Boys.
Headliner is sagging (surprise, surprise).

The bottom line:

I hate just to donate it to charity and have it go to the crusher, given the number of good and sometimes hard-to-find parts on it. (1996 was a "unicorn" year in many ways. A lot of 1997 and 1998 parts are incompatible with it.)
I am contemplating listing it cheaply on AutoTrader, but I thought I would give the Audi enthusiast sites a shot, as well. I am located in north coastal San Diego County (City of Encinitas). I do not have time or space to part it out myself.
I have thought about fixing it up (I have been heavily involved with electricals and electronics since high school) and keeping it as a classic fun ride for occasional use, but I can no longer trust it for non-local travel.

Old 10-10-2019, 11:29 PM
2nd Gear

What are you looking to get out of it?

Old 04-26-2021, 07:29 PM
1st Gear

If still sitting in yard I just got a 98 a4tq and was thinking 'BIGGER engine. Near San Jose and have car trailer. Let me know, thx. Marty