B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Emergency flashers coming on by themselves!

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 07:50 PM
1st Gear
Default Emergency flashers coming on by themselves!

So, i have no idea why my car is doing this, its a 98 A4 with roughly 120k on it. Otherwise pretty healthy... 1.8t, GIAC chip, magnaflow catback, and I NEVER beat on it (I have an 06 evo to beat on).

So basically i went to lunch today, came into work, and was told my flashers were going off. So I go out to look, and they are flashing fast... like faster than if I used the hazard button in the dash. So when i hit unlock, then lock, they stop doing it for a few minutes, then start back up flashing again. The hazard button on the dash is not pressed in, i tried to hit it a couple times just to see if it was sticking or something. When I start it up, it doesnt seem to flash, only when off and locked for a few minutes.

I can work on engines, I can work on body stuff, but i straight up suck at electrical. lol anyone have any ideas what might be causing this?

the vehicle in question and its sibling. lol

Name:  IMG_6400.jpg
Views: 8296
Size:  149.3 KB

Name:  cars-3.jpg
Views: 8187
Size:  55.0 KB

Name:  DSC_0446.jpg
Views: 8132
Size:  166.6 KB

Last edited by termite_on; 06-18-2009 at 07:54 PM.
Old 06-18-2009, 08:52 PM
1st Gear

It could be your alarm going off. try turning off your motion sensor behind the drivers seat to see if that helps. Im not sure but it might be possible to turn the alarm off with a VAG if above does not do the trick.

Old 06-18-2009, 08:57 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by srlito
It could be your alarm going off. try turning off your motion sensor behind the drivers seat to see if that helps. Im not sure but it might be possible to turn the alarm off with a VAG if above does not do the trick.
Hmm... I didnt know i had an alarm! haha... can you describe better about the motion sensor? Would this be factory alarm?

Old 06-18-2009, 11:07 PM
1st Gear

It is a factory alarm. Behind your drivers seat on the pilar between the front and rear door there should be a button if you have the motion sensor. Did you have your windows open? I know ive had a leaf fall through my sunroof and the alarm go off.

Old 06-19-2009, 05:35 PM
1st Gear

when I look where described... it sort of looks like the button has been removed. Is this how it is supposed to look? I DID leave my windows open, but i usually do and it never did this before. I am still not ruling out the possibility of the motion detector.

Name:  IMG_8168.jpg
Views: 8113
Size:  168.5 KB

Name:  IMG_8169.jpg
Views: 8326
Size:  91.0 KB

Old 06-20-2009, 10:52 AM
1st Gear

Do the flashers come on when the windows are closed? The button is missing but you still might be able to turn it off by pushing the center piece in that space.

Old 06-22-2009, 01:25 AM
2nd Gear

I agree it's the alarm system

Old 06-22-2009, 03:39 AM
1st Gear

This happens to me all the time... If I leave the windows down and it's windy, and the motion sensor for the alarm is on, and the car is locked and alarm set, then wind will trigger the sensor and the lights will flash and alarm will sound.

That missing button is the motion sensor button... You need to either turn the sensor off or just lock your doors but do not engage the alarm (ie. do not lock it with the remote, lock it using the button in the door and press it once), if you want to leave your windows down.

P.S. Your alarm should sound too when the lights flash...but it stops at some point after, so maybe they saw the lights flashing after the alarm stopped.

Old 01-18-2013, 10:52 AM
1st Gear
Default similar problem

I have a similar problem, however I drive an '06 A4 (not Quattro). On occasion, my emergency flashers go on without any reason, however my alarm doesn't sound. I've had this happen about a half dozen times in the past 18 months...any ideas?

Old 01-25-2013, 02:31 AM
1st Gear

This thread is super old but I eventually solved it. I believe it was as described and my window was open a crack or something and I didnt know it. Was definitely the motion sensor.

Side note, this car almost met its demise when I hit an obscenely large curb that wasnt very visible at night. Someone bought it from me wrecked and resurrected it. So hopefully its still out cruising around. I had a B7 avant after and to this day still miss my B5, what an amazing car! Id love to get another or a B5 S4 some day.

Quick Reply: Emergency flashers coming on by themselves!