B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

electronics

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 02:42 AM
1st Gear
Angry electronics

So today was a sad day for my car. while driving today, my turn signals no longer work, i can barely push it down or up and the light on my dash with slightly flash for a second and go away but my turn signals will not flash on the out side.
I replaced both front axles and cv joints since the boots were completely torn and i had lost all of the grease. after completing that job the ABS light came on for the front left speed sensor. i pushed it completely in so maybe i damaged it? i was planning on replacing it soon but today my brake light started flashing at me. does this correlate to the speed sensor or to the ABS module?
while replacing the axles i went ahead and replaced my front brakes. i received brake pad worn symbol along with the abs light. is there any way to reset that?
both license plate bulbs went out half way home and got pulled over for that.

Old 06-28-2011, 06:50 AM
Administrator

Jesus, sounds like you're driving an 80s Jaguar. Turn signal fail usually is the hazard relay (replace the hazard switch) but if your signal stalk is stiff it may be more likely that you need a new combi switch. For the plate lights, check fuse #5 - it's a 5A fuse. Mine kept cooking the fuse and when I tore the whole thing apart it was massive corrosion on the connectors and a rotted bulb power wire. I ran new wires and soldered them onto the contact tongs on the bulb bracket, threw in a set of Emilgevor's LED plate bulbs, and all is good. If you're getting the pad warning with new pads, you may have dirty pad wear sensor contacts. For the brake light, the ABS module usually has that flashing, plus a lit ABS light, and three warning beeps on startup so it may actually only be the sensor. I'd start there since you already planned on it anyway, and see what happens.

Old 06-29-2011, 10:22 AM
1st Gear

i took off the wheel today. cleaned up the sensor and pushed it back in completely. cleared the abs code. turned on my car. it came back so either i damaged the sensor/wiring or the ring on the new axle is damaged. checked the fuse it wasn't blown so either wiring or both bulbs blew out in the same night?
And to the combo switch will one off of an older b5 work or should i just order a new one?