B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

EGR valve and throttle body cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 08:56 AM
Default EGR valve and throttle body cleaning

So i just cleaned my throttle body and EGR valve the other day. When i got everything apart it was disgusting how full of carbon everything was. i tried my best to clean the EGR valve and then i cleaned the throttle body up nice and then there was the little 3/8 or 1/2 inch in diameter passage on the bottom of the intake manifold right by the throttle body. I guess this is where the EGR gasses pass through but anyway it was the worst how packed it was with carbon and crud and I cleaned, cleaned, and cleaned hahah took a while for me to think i got it all but dont think i did because i put it all back together and the car started right up and about a hour later when i went to start it back up it wouldnt start for a while like it went back to its same old thing but i did not clear the code after i did everything soooo idk if that would have a play in it or i didnt clean the passage enough? idk but i had the code cleared today and seemed to run better after that so i will see what happens.

Old 05-24-2010, 09:27 AM
Administrator

I need to do this too, but i've been putting it off because of horror stories i've been hearing lol. Overall, how tough would you say this job was? You might try clearing the code and doing a TBA and see if that helps.

Old 05-24-2010, 09:37 AM

Well at first when i wanted to do it i took off the intake box that goes to the throttle body and then tried to take the EGR valve off with the crow foot and there was no way i could get on the nut and didnt wanna take the throttle body off cuz this is my first audi and didnt know what i was getting into so i put it all together and went to a guy who works on all audi and vw and he want to charge me 300 bucks just for the cleaning so i figured i would do it myself lol so i just did it and it wasnt hard at all just gotta be patient and not rush it and it turned out to be a piece of cake for me. The only thing i didnt do was replace the gaskets because i called a audi, vw, and regular parts store looking for them and no one had them in stock and couldnt get them for like 5 days so i just was very careful taking them off and they were fine and also when i put them back on i used a little hi temp rtv sealant just to be safe. but whats a TBA?

Old 05-24-2010, 10:00 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by bastian
whats a TBA?
Throttle Body Alignment

Depending on what year you've got, the throttle body needs to be re-aligned occasionally. You can do this by putting your key in the ignition and turning it to the "on" position, and leaving it alone for 15 minutes. You should be able to hear some servos servoing under the hood. What year is your A4?

Old 05-24-2010, 10:03 AM

it is a 97

Old 05-24-2010, 11:59 AM
Administrator

Mine too, ours don't do that afaik, so disregard that part lol.

Old 05-24-2010, 03:39 PM
4th Gear

lol @ "servos servoing."

Another thing on my long list of things to do when I get home...

Old 05-24-2010, 04:29 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by bradtyler02
lol @ "servos servoing."
lol well i dunno wtf they're doin under there, servo stuff?

Old 05-24-2010, 04:34 PM
Site Moderator/B5 Tech Guru

Originally Posted by CCA4
lol well i dunno wtf they're doin under there, servo stuff?
Lol, servos are gettin' their party on under the hood!

Old 05-24-2010, 04:50 PM
4th Gear

I can't wait to get back from this deployment so I can get in on some servoing action myself... and I mean that in a variety of ways!

Quick Reply: EGR valve and throttle body cleaning