B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

EGR, Power Steering, Antifreeze

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 03:57 PM
1st Gear
Default EGR, Power Steering, Antifreeze

I have a 1997 Audi A4 Quattro with a number of problems. When the I test the check engine light the code PO401 - egr insufficent flow comes up. Sometimes when I try to turn the car on, it clicks, and clicks, and clicks, and finally turns over and spits out a lot of white smoke from the exhaust. I only get 160 miles per tank of gas (15G). It also occasionally over heats, but that has only happened in <10 degree weather. I think that all of this is due to the problem with the egr.

Sometimes I put antifreeze in and it will last a month or so at the fill line, and then one day it is all gone. I haven't figured out why this happens, and I haven't found a leak in the antifreeze tubes.

Third problem: When I turn on the car there is a high pitch buzz coming from under the hood. When I turn the steering wheel the sound gets louder, but it is not difficult to turn the steering wheel. I am sure I have a problem with the power steering, but I don't know exactly what it is or what I should do about it.

I would appreciate your help with any or all of these problems. It would be nice to know what is possible for me to do by myself, and what I have to take to a mechanic. Thank you so much, -Chad

Old 02-07-2013, 01:30 AM
1st Gear

Sounds like my power steering did when the fluid was low. It was loud and obnoxious, and sounded a lot worse than low power steering fluid, lol.

Old 02-07-2013, 02:36 AM
1st Gear

It appears your problem is common to me too. My advise on the power stearing, avoid turning your stearing wheel to the extreme ends. I noticed this with my A4. It literally leaks, then that quiere sound comes up.
For the anti freez, chech for a 'plastic like' make called a water flenge. It develops cracks and leaks out the coolant. It is located just behind the cylinder head, hiden but interlinks the two water hoses entering the carbin.

Old 02-07-2013, 07:23 AM

a - please tell me your dumping g12 in and not green stuff

b- fill your resivor with power steering fluid - pentosin pnly or youll blow the rack, then turn it lock to lock a fe time to drain the fluid.

c - 160 miles per tank says you need a lot fo work, i get 300-350

d - hows the compression?? check the oil cooler, check the back of the block for leakign coolant, check the coolant temp sensor. if you dont visibly see it that means its inside,,,,, which isnt good.

e - yo can delete the whole egr system, yours is probally shot, give it a clean and try it or just delete it.