B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

EDL not working?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 12:06 AM
1st Gear
Default EDL not working?

Hey guys, having an issue in the snow I'm hoping you can help me with.

Car info:2000 A4 FWD, 185k Miles

The ABS module failed in the normal manner and was rebuilt several years ago and has not had any issues since. All fuses normal. No pertinent codes from VCDS.

EDL is not working at all. If one of my front tires doesn't have traction, I'm not going ANYWHERE. As far as I've understood it, all B5.5s had EDL, is that correct? Anyone have any ideas where to start troubleshooting?

Old 01-04-2017, 11:28 AM
2nd Gear

Pardon my ignorance, but what do you mean when you say "EDL", because I also have a 2001.5 and I may be able to help.

Old 01-04-2017, 01:42 PM
1st Gear

EDL="Electronic Differential Lock"

It simulates a differential lock by using the abs system to apply the brakes to the slipping wheel. Also sometimes known as EDS in our cars.

Old 01-04-2017, 06:25 PM
1st Gear

And for reference, I just went out and checked, and my A4 DOES have the EDL option.

Old 01-05-2017, 01:56 PM
2nd Gear

Where did you find the confirmation? In the trunk by the spare? Which code is it, because I'm having the same problem as you......and I have 20"x 8" wheels - still can't get any traction (granted: I have a 22psi tune). I just assumed we have open diffs in our cars. Tell me how to find out if I have it or not, because if we have the same problem, I'll definitely get to the bottom of it quick.

Old 01-05-2017, 03:38 PM
1st Gear

Option code is 1AH, found on the option sticker in the spare tire well.

Old 01-06-2017, 12:32 PM
2nd Gear

Yup, I have that same option - and I guess the same problem. Now let's get fixed.

Okay, I'm back. It's definitely ABS sensor related. I'm going to run a full VAG COM scan on my entire ABS system when I have the time later today/tonight. If I get no info from that, I'm going to figure out how to test the system myself (similar to how you would test if a hot rod has Posi Trac). I'm sure I can figure out a way to do that today (I think I just did), so give me some time and I'll update this thread with my results.

Bump this thread just in case, because if I don't get an email update about this thread, it's entirely possible I could forget to post my results. lol. Sorry, bad memory.

Talk to you soon.

Old 01-07-2017, 12:29 AM
1st Gear

Thanks Turboguy. I'm assuming your car isn't throwing any ABS related codes either?

Old 01-07-2017, 10:25 AM
2nd Gear

I don't have a CEL (which an ABS issue would cause), but some ******* in a Nissan "Moron-o" side-swiped me in rush hour traffic yesterday and after sitting for 3 hours on the side of the interstate, I didn't get a chance to do anything.

I'll run VAG COM here in a minute and get back to you. If I have no codes whatsoever, then I'll do a manual test of the system later and post those results too.

Old 01-07-2017, 12:44 PM
2nd Gear

Update: I just ran a full system scan with the full VAG COM suite and the only code my entire car came up with was 17968, which is:

"Maximum Engine Speed Exceeded" (I had my rev limiter bumped up during one of my tunes).

The Ross Tech solution to that problem is (and I **** you not):

1. "Remove Lead from foot."
2. "Clear codes."

Now that codes have been ruled out, I'm going to find a safe spot where I can get one front wheel on pavement and the other on sand/dirt/etc. and take off from a stop. if the wheel in the sand spins first, then transfers power to the other wheel (on the pavement) then I know it's working. If I try this (with both front wheels tested) and I get no results, then we know I have a problem with my EDU system somewhere.

I'll update you once I know something.

Quick Reply: EDL not working?