B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Ecu tuning diy?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 01:51 AM
hip
Default Ecu tuning diy?

hi:
Sorry, any here has any idea how to flash a ECU by self?
I have an 2001 A4 B5 1,8T quattro with manual trans. I really want to upgraded it to a higher performance. I am wondering is there anyway I can do this, like what APR does, all by my self? If so , would you please tell me what do I need and basic steps of how to do the ECU tuning/flash? Thanks a lot.
Nick

Old 08-03-2010, 03:17 AM
2nd Gear

If you have to ask about tuning yourself, then I wouldn't recommend it. Using home tuning programs, so I've seen, are left to guys who are very knowledgeable about their car and have a very good understanding of the systems, usually mechanics of some sorts or can break down their whole car with a pair of vice grips and a Flathead lol. What you can do is the diode mod, but I would only recommend doing something like that if you are planning on going BT in the very near future and don't want to spend the money on a chip that you are only going to use for a very short period of time. Plus, the diode mod isn't going to be able to give you the numbers that a professional tuning company could. I think you can only safely push 16-17 pounds (spike). And as with all tuning, you are going to need an upgraded diverter valve and boost gauge. Also, if you plan on doing the diode mod, you will need to get a MBC or an EBC. I recommend just getting the chip. You certainly won't be sorry you spend the money cause its the most bang for your buck you will get for this car. Hope this helps.

Old 08-03-2010, 10:00 AM
5th Gear

^ +1..

Old 08-03-2010, 10:12 AM
4th Gear

You own a Audi not a honda. lol

There is no short cut to tuning your stock ecu on your own. Just buy a chip and have a tuner flash it. If you check around you might be able to find someone selling a ECU that is already chipped.

Old 08-03-2010, 11:01 AM
hip

Thanks for all above. I really appreciate your suggestions!
Yea, I should probably give up tuning it myself

Old 08-03-2010, 11:03 AM
hip

one more question: when you say "chip", do you mean the entire piece of ECU? or only one single individual silicon chip on it? Sorry about this elementary level question. thanks

Old 08-03-2010, 01:41 PM
2nd Gear

It depends on what company you go through. There are some tuners that will actually put a physical chip and there are others that will do a flash on your existing hardware...it all just depends on which company you go though but either way is going to be fine.

Old 05-01-2013, 10:23 PM
1st Gear

has to be a way to do it yourself, ive met tuners who are dumb as **** so it couldnt be that hard? or am i just completely wrong?

Old 05-02-2013, 12:55 AM
1st Gear

yes you could just buy an aftermarket ecu without anything on it and program away if you know how to