B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

ECT Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 10:08 PM
1st Gear
Default ECT Sensor

I am showing fault code

P0117

Engine Coolant Temp.Circ Low Input

Does anyone know how to check this? I am not sure where this is located to verify the wiring is not loose. If I need to buy a new one I have not had any luck finding one online either. Anyone with a suggestion on where you can buy these type of parts online.

I just bought my Audi last week and I am still learning.

Old 03-30-2008, 10:23 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: ECT Sensor

BTW: it is a 2000 A4 Quattro Avant 2.8 V6 Automatic.

Old 03-30-2008, 11:49 PM
1st Gear

it's normally located between the engine and the firewall, mounted to one of the coolant hoses. It's usually pretty easy to get at. It is a thermistor which can make it hard to test because it varies according to temp. What does your coolant gauge read at normal op temp?? Any online audi parts store sells this part. I had a similar reading but when I replaced the thermostat it went away.

Old 03-30-2008, 11:55 PM
4th Gear

it a cheap part, usually it bad if your temp gauge fluctuates while driving. on your car its located on the passenger side pretty much under the intake pipe and under alot of wires and hoses. its about 45minute on the V6, theres a DIY inteh DIY section. i got mine at NAPA for $15 depending on your part its either the blue top or since your 2000 it may be the revised green top.

Old 03-31-2008, 12:37 AM
1st Gear

I changed mine a few weeks ago and it resolved all of my irratic coolant issues. Careful when you pull it out not to break the breather hose! It's a $90 plastic part, and it seems that it's a common problem that it grows brittle.

Old 04-02-2008, 09:03 PM
1st Gear

I searched high and low for this part between the engine and firewall with no success. I did however find whatI think is it on the front passenger side of the engine way down low between the engine and radiator. I can reach it to pull it out but I cannot figure out how to put the new one in.

The Audi parts store sold me a green top one with a metal nipple on the end. The one I pulled out was blue with no nipple. Is it possible that whatever I pulled out is not the right part.

I am going to have to head up to the store and buy a "Star Bit" for my screwdriver so that I can remove the passenger headlight assembly. I think this will allow me a little more space to reach it. I also hope that after all of this I did not find the wrong thing.

Old 04-02-2008, 11:32 PM
1st Gear

I think the plug you pulled out is for either the horn or the A/C condenser. I have a 97 2.8, but I don't think the ECT changed locations, so it should be the same. The ECT sensor is towards the back of the engine on the passenger side. First you have to take off the short intake hose. In the picture, it's already been removed. Never mind the green rectangle.

The ECT will be deeper in the area circled in red. It's not too obvious to the eye when you're searching for it. It's buried under the idle control valve and a bunch of wires. Just roll up your sleeves, stick you hand in there and clear some wires away, CAREFULLLY. (You should wait till the engine cools 'cause a little coolant will spill out when you pull the ECT out). Take a flashlight and you'll definitely be able to see it.

There's a retaining clip around the plug that you'll have to remove before taking the ECT out. Pull it out straight and level. If you put angle on the force it could snap it. Then replace the ECT, put the clip back on, put the intake hose back on, and you're done!

Old 04-02-2008, 11:35 PM
1st Gear

Sorry, forgot to post the picture.

[IMG]local://upfiles/46961/5B111DF8D7004565BD025931D1D4C300.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-03-2008, 11:05 AM
1st Gear

Hey, I have this same issue( or so i think) When driving my a4 the water temp gauge fluctuates up and down it never gets suuper hot( no more then half the gauge) but it will go all the way down to the "C" COLD and then by ten or 15 min its back up to half? i just had a mechanic replace my timing belt and water pump about 60 miles ago..also i have a small leak but no clue to where it is coming from...i dont see any anti freeze coming out or any water on the new water pump ( i Have not ripped it apart to get a better look) I want to take it back to the guy in seattle/lynwood area and slap his F*cking *** around...jk..sorry to rip the topic all to shreads. let me know what you think?

Thanks alot!

Old 04-03-2008, 09:41 PM
Administrator

When you decide to handle this, before you start, make sure you have a spare retaining clip just in case. They're not included with the sensor, and they can break (ask me how I know this). Pick one up at a dealership or order one with your sensor.