B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

ECS tuning RA4 clutch conversion

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 04:14 PM
2nd Gear
Default ECS tuning RA4 clutch conversion

Anyone ever try this setup before?

I need to get a new clutch and im looking for something that will support around 300hp down the road.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B5_A4-...Clutch/ES5485/

im also going to swap the tranny mounts at the same time. is there any advantage to going aftermarket?? or will new stock a4 mounts support 300hp?

Old 08-12-2009, 12:51 PM
2nd Gear

...anyone??

or anyone have any feedback at all about this setup? ive never heard of it b4, but its basically what im looking for and i wanted to do the clutch before H2O at the end of september.

Old 08-12-2009, 01:28 PM
Administrator

Lots of guys get the Southbend stage 3 clutch - supposed to be nicely streetable and able to handle the torque. Talk to Mike2pt0 about it - I think they'll rework the flywheel for it too.

Old 08-12-2009, 02:14 PM
2nd Gear

thanks, but im not really trying to spend that kind of money.

this kit is what im looking for i just wanted to know if anyone on here had personoal experience with it.

Old 08-12-2009, 05:18 PM

I have it and don't have any complaints. Light flywheel doesn't chatter and feels much better than stock, it holds with all the mods I have and I can launch with no problem. Easy to drive every day and great pedal feel.

Old 08-12-2009, 06:16 PM
2nd Gear

cool. thanks for the feedback.

Old 08-12-2009, 06:16 PM
4th Gear

It is just a OEM RS4 clutch and plenty of S4 guys complain about the RS4 clutch all the time. So the kit increases the over all size of the clutch surface by going 240mm vs our stock 224mm.

If its price your aiming at then that is most likely going to be your best option for something making less then 300hp. I offer clutch/flywheel setups from both South Bend and Clutch Masters but even the stage 1 kits with a flywheel are going to be more then that.

The down side off that ECS kit is when you need to upgrade again you end up getting having to buy an S4 aftermarket clutch to mount to the custom ECS flywheel and all of the S4 aftermarket clutch kits cost a bit more then the A4 kits.

As for the transmission mounts, stiffer mounts means the trans will move less and this results in cleaner shifts.

Last edited by Mike-2ptzero; 08-12-2009 at 06:21 PM.
Old 12-16-2010, 12:16 PM
1st Gear

I'm looking for a new Clutch kit guys and if i can get my Flywheel machined from southbend i would go for it but i like heavy launches so i dont want it to disappoints me in the middle of the street!! Ive read many bad reviews about Southbend clutches so that's why im hesitating. I'm interested in this kit but don't know the reliability of ECS products. my car has 117,000 miles so i was also thinking bout put sachs clutch kit without machining the FW! Advise please!!!

Last edited by Audixx4; 08-03-2011 at 05:01 PM.
Old 12-16-2010, 12:23 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Audixx4
I'm looking for a new Clutch kit guys and if i can get my Flywheel machined from southbend i would go for it but i like heavy launches so i dont want it to disappoints me in the middle of the street!! Ive read many bad reviews about Southbend clutches so that's why im hesitating. I'm interested in this kit but don't know the reliability of ECS products. my car has 117,000 miles so i was also thinking bout put sachs clutch kit without machining the FW! Advise please!!!
If you are going to stick with your flywheel you want to have it resurfaced, if you dont it can cause the new disk to wear more quickly then it would if the surface has been resurfaced. It is like putting new brake pads on a old rotor.

If you like launching your car and want to go South bend go with the TZ kit not the OFE. It is the FE material that tends to fuse itself to the flywheel or pressure plate.

Other options is the CM 228mm kit for your stock flywheel or if your looking for a clutch/flywheel package the CM 240mm kit which comes with a 19 lbs billet steel flywheel. You want to stick with the heavier flywheels if your car is Quattro.

Old 12-16-2010, 06:18 PM
1st Gear

I installed the RA4 Stage 1 kit over thanksgiving break. I've put 750 miles on it since then and I have to say, it's broken in nicely. I'm not big turbo, and have no plans to go big turbo while I'm in college (maaaaybe a Frankenturbo K04.....maybe) so I didn't really need to go for the bigger upgrade kits. Launches well and the lighter flywheel has made rev-mach downshifts much quicker and more fun.

One and only drawback so far is that it now seems to take longer to start the car and while the starter is engaged it makes a very loud, high pitched chirp. I have no idea why it makes this sound when the gears from the starter and flywheel mesh, but it doesnt seem to be causing a problem.

Quick Reply: ECS tuning RA4 clutch conversion