B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

ECS Axle quality?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 11:11 AM
2nd Gear
Default ECS Axle quality?

Need a new assembly on the PS, clicking/vibrating badly.

Wanted to go through Raxles, but I don't have the stock axle installed so obviously I lack the necessary core to send back to the guy.

Audi B5 S4 2.7T - 8D0407272AR - Front Axle Assembly - Right - ES#2723089

What say ye?

Old 08-12-2014, 11:59 AM
Administrator

I can't speak for the ECS stuff but I'm running two axles from GermanAutoParts.com on my A4 and have zero issues in 4 years with them.

Old 08-12-2014, 12:32 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by ImTheDevil
I can't speak for the ECS stuff but I'm running two axles from GermanAutoParts.com on my A4 and have zero issues in 4 years with them.
Hey thanks a lot Jeremy for the quick reply!

I'll take your word and order one of theirs. Reckon I'll get the hub bolt too..

Also, I got a new phone so lost your number, and since it's not an iphone you'll prolly have to delete the old text conversation for it to work properly. Shoot me a text so I can bother you with my problems :-P

Old 08-12-2014, 02:51 PM
Site Moderator/B5 Tech Guru

I made the mistake of trying to save some money when I replaced the axles on my father's A4 and went with aftermarket FEQ axles. The car shakes like a rock tumbler when stopped and in gear (automatic, not manual though.) The OEM axles are hollow and harmonically balanced to eliminate this vibration whereas the aftermarket axles are just a solid shaft, which is why they cost half the price.

The car drives of course, but it has lost the Audi smoothness that made the car so enjoyable to drive. I still have the OEM axles and will at some point rebuild them or just send them off to Raxles and get rebuilt OEM replacements.

Old 08-12-2014, 03:24 PM
Legal Moderator

the best thing to do is either get raxles, or just have the joints replaced with Lobro brand joints. get high quality boots too

Old 08-22-2014, 01:32 PM
2nd Gear

Went with the Germanautoparts one and it came apart on me as soon as I put it on the ground lol.

Not to worry, contacted customer support that day and they sent me a replacement free of charge within two days. It's a different axle that the dude on the phone said they've had much better luck with. Will be installing tomorrow and will update afterward.

At some point ill source the stock axles from a junkyard or part out and go the raxles route. Just lost my job so money is tight.

Old 08-22-2014, 04:18 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by BaseDrifter
I made the mistake of trying to save some money when I replaced the axles on my father's A4 and went with aftermarket FEQ axles. The car shakes like a rock tumbler when stopped and in gear (automatic, not manual though.) The OEM axles are hollow and harmonically balanced to eliminate this vibration whereas the aftermarket axles are just a solid shaft, which is why they cost half the price.

The car drives of course, but it has lost the Audi smoothness that made the car so enjoyable to drive. I still have the OEM axles and will at some point rebuild them or just send them off to Raxles and get rebuilt OEM replacements.
What's your recommendation then? OEM only? I ask because I'm going to need axles as my boots on both sides are completely torn open for who knows how long now. They been like for at least 6 months because that's how long I've had the car. I just assume replace the entire axel since the grease and everything has been open for a good amount of time now. I'm also going to need tie rod ends.

I think I just cried when I saw the price of OEM axels. ~$1000 for the front pair.

Last edited by adam044; 08-22-2014 at 04:23 PM.
Old 08-22-2014, 04:22 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by adam044
What's your recommendation then? OEM only? I ask because I'm going to need axles as my boots on both sides are completely torn open for who knows how long now. They been like for at least 6 months because that's how long I've had the car. I just assume replace the entire axel since the grease and everything has been open for a good amount of time now. I'm also going to need tie rod ends.

Burning stuff to spend money on that's why I haven't done anything with it yet.
If you have OEM call the guys at Raxles, I've heard nothing but good things. He even tried to find me an OEM for core swap in a nearby junkyard, but those ***** were ***** and said they didn't have it. Anyway, Raxles.

Yeah

Old 08-22-2014, 06:41 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by DOC_DEPALMA
If you have OEM call the guys at Raxles, I've heard nothing but good things. He even tried to find me an OEM for core swap in a nearby junkyard, but those ***** were ***** and said they didn't have it. Anyway, Raxles.

Yeah
I'll look into them when the time comes thanks.

Old 08-23-2014, 08:50 AM
4th Gear

I replaced mine with a pair from an O'Reilly's at 58 bucks each a few years back. I had the car for about 2 years after that with no issues before I sold it. The tricky part is, they are different lengths by a ver small amount, so just be sure not to get them mixed up.

Quick Reply: ECS Axle quality?