B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Easiest way to host your photos to post on the frums!

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 01:19 PM
1st Gear
Lightbulb Easiest way to host your photos to post on the frums!

If you are one who posts a number of photos on the forum like myself, you know it can be rather annoying either having to host your photos somewhere (picasa,photobucket etc..etc.)

Just thought I would share with you the easiest solution I have come up with which also gives you a number of other features that are handy for managing your data across multiple devices and operating systems... Best of all its FREE

I won't go into great detail as to what Dropbox allows you to do as its covered pretty well on their website however it simply gives you 2Gb of online storage which you can use to store any files and have them sync across your PC('s)/mac/ipad/iphone etc.. for free.

The feature we are taking advantage of is public sharing folder.

Once you have installed the software (see link below) you should see a folder called "Public" under the Dropbox folder (by default under your home directory). you can place files directly in this folder or create a directory (photos or Audi Forums ) and place files in there.

These files are now allocated a public link, to obtain the public link just right click on the file and select copy public link, This will copy the full public URL of the file to you clipboard.

In this case I copied the image R1.jpg into the Audi Forums folder I created under my public folder, this is what was copied to the clip board.

Code:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9511234/psb/R1.jpg

Once you have this link, all you need to do is either click the "Insert Image" button in the new post editor and paste the link in or wrap the [IMG]https://www.audiforums.com/forum/b5-models-69/easiest-way-host-your-photos-post-frums-192937/b5-models-69/easiest-way-host-your-photos-post-frums-192937/ tags around the link.

Thats it.. the image will now be linked to the file in your dropbox in your post.

To save yourself time when posting a number of images you can just copy and paste the link of the first image (with the URL tags around it) and change the name of the file, if you are using a number of sequentially numbered files then this can be a huge time saver.

Get Started

Just click here to create an account and download the software: Download Dropbox **

Did I miss anything ?? Let me know below.

**Yes this is a refferal link so I get more space when you create an account

Last edited by phatjames167; 03-01-2013 at 01:21 PM.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:08 PM
1st Gear

Using imgur.com is much much easier.

Old 03-02-2013, 12:42 AM
Legal Moderator

or photobucket. upload photos and copy and paste the link. it is rather simple

Old 03-02-2013, 09:04 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by meh.
Using imgur.com is much much easier.
Originally Posted by redline380
or photobucket. upload photos and copy and paste the link. it is rather simple
I think the ultimate point of this thread is this bit below, which is bordering on spam IMO...

Originally Posted by phatjames167
**Yes this is a refferal link so I get more space when you create an account

Old 03-02-2013, 09:19 AM

its borderline spam for sure. Either that its hitting other forum rules to deal with advertisings.

Also, i'm pretty sure everyone and their mother has heard about dropbox by now.

Old 03-02-2013, 09:49 AM
1st Gear

All,

yes most people have heard of dropbox, but what I'm really trying to show you is the desktop integration, that allows you you to drag your picture into a public folder that creates a url for you. all you have to do is right click the picture (without getting on a photo sharing site) and select copy url, then use it in your post. no need to go to your photo hosting site. you don't have to go to drop box's site. it integrate with a drop box folder on your PC.

as far as everyone thinking this is spam, I was just trying to help. I could have posted this in other areas of the forum but I wanted to share it with my b5 brothers so they could add pictures to their posts easier and for some just add some at all. if you like the idea and don't want to help me out, just go to the drop box site and register yourself with out my referral. this isn't any different from a guy at ecs or another online store jumping on here showing one of their products and telling you to mention his name. he gets his bonus or another day of work i get a little extra space for referrals, but like i said don't use the referral link if you don't want.

the true intent of the OP was to help others, how dare i ask for help in return.

Old 03-03-2013, 02:03 AM
1st Gear

I have Dropbox.
I tried to do what you did in OP.
It didn't work out.
So I just used imgur to upload this.
Name:  Z2mjbEa.jpg
Views: 6
Size:  52.0 KB

Old 03-03-2013, 11:22 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by meh.
I have Dropbox.
I tried to do what you did in OP.
It didn't work out.
So I just used imgur to upload this.
Are you using the desktop software? if so did you put the picture you wanted to use in the public folder or into a folder that is located in the public folder?

that is how it would work. once in that folder you would right clock, go to the drop box option then select "copy public link" like in the OP picture. I've never had this not work so my guess would be you don't have it in that public folder. or your using the drop box website and still may not have it in the public folder.