B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

E85 in a 99 A4 2.8?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 04:15 PM
Default E85 in a 99 A4 2.8?

I was wondering if anyone new if it was possible to run E85 in a 99 A4, If I would have to mod it or if I could keep it stock. Thanks

Old 03-23-2009, 08:37 AM

No, you shouldn't run E85 in any non flex-fuel vehicle

Old 03-23-2009, 12:44 PM
3rd Gear

I'm sure someone has done it, but not with out proper modifications. There's a shop here in CO (Autobahn Premier Service) that tunes 1.8Ts to run on E85 and a local dubber has his MKIV Jetta running it with out any issues at all. I'm not sure if they've done any V6s tho.

Old 03-23-2009, 03:59 PM
3rd Gear

E85 has less energy density then gasoline so you need to have your car remapped to increase the fuel output, and possibly get some larger injectors, if you are switching to E85. if you just fill up the tank with ethanol you will run very lean and your EGT's will soar and melt your cat.

that being said, there was a lot of E85 hype the last few years because Bush, being as smart as he was, believed in it and spent a lot of money on the production and advertising of methanol. it wasnt entirely a bad thing, we learned much about alternative energy and it taught us that E85 was not the answer. the truth is- whatever carbon emissions you save by running methanol over gasoline are produced in the production of methanol itself, so the saving carbon emmission point is moot. whatever carbon your car doesnt produce, was emitted by the farm machinery and production of the fuel. furthermore, we dont have enough land to devote to farming corn to produce the ethanol for widespread use. couple all that with the fact that it has less energy per gallon, meaning you need to use more of it to do the same amount of work (less miles per gallon, eventhough E85 costs about the same, if not more, then regular gas), and its clear that E85 will never be a main stream source of vehicle power. currently the US is focusing its green energy money to other, more truly renewable and cleaner, sources.

i wouldnt convert my car to E85 because it probably wont be around in the long term. electricity(wind/solar/geothermal/hydroelectric) or hydrogen fuels are what is probably going to take off in the coming years.

Old 03-23-2009, 04:41 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by ghost6303
E85 has less energy density then gasoline so you need to have your car remapped to increase the fuel output, and possibly get some larger injectors, if you are switching to E85. if you just fill up the tank with ethanol you will run very lean and your EGT's will soar and melt your cat.

that being said, there was a lot of E85 hype the last few years because Bush, being as smart as he was, believed in it and spent a lot of money on the production and advertising of methanol. it wasnt entirely a bad thing, we learned much about alternative energy and it taught us that E85 was not the answer. the truth is- whatever carbon emissions you save by running methanol over gasoline are produced in the production of methanol itself, so the saving carbon emmission point is moot. whatever carbon your car doesnt produce, was emitted by the farm machinery and production of the fuel. furthermore, we dont have enough land to devote to farming corn to produce the ethanol for widespread use. couple all that with the fact that it has less energy per gallon, meaning you need to use more of it to do the same amount of work (less miles per gallon, eventhough E85 costs about the same, if not more, then regular gas), and its clear that E85 will never be a main stream source of vehicle power. currently the US is focusing its green energy money to other, more truly renewable and cleaner, sources.

i wouldnt convert my car to E85 because it probably wont be around in the long term. electricity(wind/solar/geothermal/hydroelectric) or hydrogen fuels are what is probably going to take off in the coming years.
Agree, except it was way less last summer when gas was $4+/gal, E85 was about $2.85 here. But again any savings may have been negated by the less MPG. Also, since E85 production cuts into corn supply for food, all the products that use corn (alot of them) as a staple ingredient are more expensive as a result as well.

Old 03-24-2009, 12:41 PM

Thanks, that answers that question.

Old 03-24-2009, 01:22 PM
Tech Slut

Originally Posted by ghost6303
E85 has less energy density then gasoline so you need to have your car remapped to increase the fuel output, and possibly get some larger injectors, if you are switching to E85. .
thats the answer to the question... it makes sense for some "race" applications as the octane is just over 100, but not DD's

Old 03-24-2009, 08:44 PM
I'm make believe

A wbo2 01+ can adjust for the extra fuel needed. Most places has the e85 for $0.10+ cheaper than 87oct which in the end will cost just a tiny bit more than 93oct. Not bad for well over 100oct fuel.

As for a 2.8, kid of pointless unless you can retune the car to add in more timing and add in even more compression. it would be a great way to add power, but unless you live in a area that has it everywhere, not the best thing to do the car unless you can run dual maps