B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

DV valve problem with giac chip

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 03:46 AM
1st Gear
Default DV valve problem with giac chip

ok so i just got my ecu back with a pc-16 file and the car runs excellent, But there is a down side i have a issue with my DV valve at high RPM or when i build boost the car kicks like stall nasty then recovers usually after i shift, if i just floor it nothing happens car fly's all the way to red line no problem.

So i have one of these Dv valves;

my question is does it matter the positions ? right now i have it with # 2 on the pressure side (in) and #3 to the intake (out) is this right? i hear its the other way or else ill have a boost leak.

and on #1 i got the vacuum hose and suck air and try to blow air and i can hear the air on my intake cone, it does not feel like i lift the piston and it does not stop me from sucking air i can actually suck air in is this right? or is that thing busted some how?
Name:  product_detailed_image_149_1120.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  44.9 KB

Old 11-08-2012, 10:48 AM

With a piston-style DV you can have it either way. HOWEVER the way you have it is more dependent on the spring (and proper selection of a spring). If you flip 2 and 3 your problem could go away.

It may be worthwhile to take apart your DV and make sure it's not damaged on the inside. And a boost leak test is always a good idea when diagnosing things.

Old 11-08-2012, 11:36 AM
Site Moderator/B5 Tech Guru

You have it installed the correct way.

To check function, push up the piston manually with your finger and put another finger over the vacuum nipple, the piston should stay up and shoot down when you remove your finger. I highly doubt you have the lung strength to retract the piston, it's a big spring!

Did you just install the DV? What makes you think the problem lies in the DV and not the new tune you just got?

Old 11-08-2012, 03:48 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by BaseDrifter
You have it installed the correct way.

To check function, push up the piston manually with your finger and put another finger over the vacuum nipple, the piston should stay up and shoot down when you remove your finger. I highly doubt you have the lung strength to retract the piston, it's a big spring!

Did you just install the DV? What makes you think the problem lies in the DV and not the new tune you just got?
ok thanks guys am going to take it off right now see what i can find.

no the dv valve has been there for a while but the thing is even before i had little issue but it was not noticeable. Its not the tune because like i said its only when i shift if i stay in one gear (any gear) and i floor it nothing happens the car runs perfect all the way to redline its ones i shift the stall/kick happens.

Old 11-08-2012, 05:00 PM
1st Gear

ok so i just took it off and yes the inside rubber is cheaply made and crack what a useless forge valve never buying them again, well on my way to pick a different one ill let you all know what happens.

Old 11-08-2012, 06:06 PM

Which Forge valve is it? I thought all Forge diverter valves use aluminum pistons. Is yours made by Forge?

Old 11-08-2012, 08:11 PM
Site Moderator/B5 Tech Guru

Sounds like you (hopefully) found your problem.

What DV do you actually have?

Old 11-08-2012, 08:34 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Subarashī Kao
ok so i just took it off and yes the inside rubber is cheaply made and crack what a useless forge valve never buying them again, well on my way to pick a different one ill let you all know what happens.
If it's a real Forge valve, you can get a replacement since they have a lifetime warranty on them.

Old 11-09-2012, 02:06 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by meh.
If it's a real Forge valve, you can get a replacement since they have a lifetime warranty on them.
well ok guys i got back i change out the forge valve out and now my car works perfect witht he new dv i got.

now my problem is i feel like am still stock lol a little better than stock i feel like i when from a AEB engine to a AWM ahah does this sound about right?

i still have the stock intercooler and the cat and stock exhaust etc but i hardly doubt thats gonna make that much difference i dont feel like i got 250hp and 295 tq lol feels like i am stock awm engine .0_0

this is my new DV now love it Name:  Img_121108162002.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  21.5 KB

Old 11-09-2012, 03:08 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Subarashī Kao
well ok guys i got back i change out the forge valve out and now my car works perfect witht he new dv i got.

now my problem is i feel like am still stock lol a little better than stock i feel like i when from a AEB engine to a AWM ahah does this sound about right?

i still have the stock intercooler and the cat and stock exhaust etc but i hardly doubt thats gonna make that much difference i dont feel like i got 250hp and 295 tq lol feels like i am stock awm engine .0_0

this is my new DV now love it

Quick Reply: DV valve problem with giac chip