B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Drivetrain Stabilizer

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 08:42 PM
1st Gear
Default Drivetrain Stabilizer

I have been having some wacky shifting issues. Anybody here ever improve their shifting performance by installing a Drivetrain Stabilizer. If so, how satified/disatified were you. How difficult is it to install.

Old 06-25-2008, 10:26 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Drivetrain Stabilizer

Installing a DTS to fix your shifting problem is a band-aid. You might even make it worse. What kind of problem are you having?

Old 06-25-2008, 10:58 PM
4th Gear

dts dosent do much, look into a new snub mout, 034 tranny and motor mounts, and the apikol rear diff mount

Old 06-25-2008, 10:59 PM
1st Gear

I have to be really gentle when shifting. Definetely out of shape and not smooth. Sometimes, the car makes a 'thud' sound when shifting. It seems to happen, more often, when shifting in lower gears (from 1st to2nd) or when downshiftng to high RPM's (5k-6k). It seems like the sound comes from the rear of the car. I have to catch it at the right time in order for it to work flawlesly. I also try to match up the RPM's when I engage for a smooth shift. I drove a stick for a few years and never in my life have been so determiined to change gears smoothly. Not an effordless process.

Old 06-25-2008, 11:06 PM
5th Gear

when you're changing gears, shift while letting go of the clutch. don't let go of the clutch too fast to let it engage before you finish shifting though. it takes a bit of practice but shifting has become much more smoother for me that way.

Old 06-25-2008, 11:22 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: AudimaniaA4

I have to be really gentle when shifting. Definetely out of shape and not smooth. Sometimes, the car makes a 'thud' sound when shifting. It seems to happen, more often, when shifting in lower gears (from 1st to2nd) or when downshiftng to high RPM's (5k-6k). It seems like the sound comes from the rear of the car. I have to catch it at the right time in order for it to work flawlesly. I also try to match up the RPM's when I engage for a smooth shift. I drove a stick for a few years and never in my life have been so determiined to change gears smoothly. Not an effordless process.
Does it thud when you release the clutch or when you move the shifter into the gate (I.E. pull back into second, push into third)? Does it happen with every gear or just certain gears?

Old 06-26-2008, 12:13 AM
2nd Gear

I have a DTS and I think it is one of the first mods that should be done to an Audi. I did the Polyurethane mode from a Chevy and it made a world of difference in the shifting as it was more firm and tight. The noise you are describing sounds more like a rear diff clunk and stern makes a host of products to stop this noise as well as firm up the shifting.

Here are a few links to the mods I referred to and I hope this helps your problem.

Polyurethane mode:

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111204

Stern diff parts for less clunk:

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=161167

Old 06-01-2009, 10:39 PM
1st Gear

In consideration to those who search threads to find the answer; I do not have an answer. This must be a June thing. I must have ignored it, and it did not bother me in the winter months. This really makes no sense to me but the thud is most agitating in June. Nevertheless, I am back on track to seek out the problem. If I find the solution, I be damn sure to post it on here, unless it magically disappears and I forget or something.

Old 06-01-2009, 10:50 PM
3rd Gear

so during the winter your shifting was smoother? is the thud sound coming from near the rear wheels or could it be coming from under the center of the car near below the drivers seat? when is the last time you changed your center or rear differential fluid? i would check all your mounts first. its probably just a broken snub/motor/trans mount.

Old 06-01-2009, 11:10 PM
1st Gear

The shifting was smoother in the winter.

To be most specific, the noise is coming from the rear center. It's quite possible that it's coming from the center although I believe that it's more towards the rear. It's not from under the driver seat.

I changed my rear differential fluid last year.

I also noticed moisture, grease juice, around my tranny.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Stabilizer