B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Drive Train buck?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 09:24 PM
Default Drive Train buck?

So heres the problem, when i am driving in the snow, every once in a while my car will quite literally buck. it nearly feels like having the clutch being dropped in on a bad shift. the whole car feels like it "stops" and there is quite a loud clunk noise from the under carriage. any help on this problem would be awesome, but after talking to a few other owners it doesnt seem like a very common issue.

Old 02-03-2009, 09:35 PM
5th Gear

so you're just driving and not shifting and then suddenly you get the buck? did you let off the gas?

Old 02-03-2009, 09:47 PM

i let off the gas after i head the pop, but it was under normal engine load ~2000 rpm in 5th gear i was not accelerating or anything just going along at 45mph it was on a flat road grade too.

Old 02-03-2009, 10:24 PM
1st Gear
Question

Might you know if it is similar to what a ball and spring MBC might cause? just brain-storming. I have felt that clunk with those before. If it is, there may be suggestions for that floating around. bad n75 or chip tuning? Use a different mbc?

Old 02-03-2009, 10:30 PM

I have a 2.8l 30v the only real modification that i have personally done to the car is to get a speedtuning chip. all the other listed upgrades that are on the car were done by the previous owner.
And just to make sure, a MBC is a manual boost controller? which unfortunately does not apply to my situation.

Old 02-03-2009, 11:09 PM
3rd Gear

does this happen regularly? can you replicate it? or was it a one time thing. it could have been a chunk of ice in your wheel well falling onto the tire and getting smashed between the fender and the tire or something similar.

Old 02-03-2009, 11:55 PM
3rd Gear

Do you have any traction control systems (like ASR)?

Old 02-04-2009, 12:46 AM
5th Gear

that's weird, i've never heard of anything like that. i'd check the tranny and engine mounts first

Old 02-04-2009, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by ghost6303
does this happen regularly? can you replicate it? or was it a one time thing. it could have been a chunk of ice in your wheel well falling onto the tire and getting smashed between the fender and the tire or something similar.
It does not happen regularly, but i has happened 4 times now. It happened yesterday, and it had happened around a month before that. i have not been able to replicate the circumstances, and i do try to drive in the snow just to try and get it to happen. as far as the ice getting stuck between the tire and wheel well - maybe, but i had an idea like that, where snow chunks made the car "buck." They dont, and it doesnt feel like striking a small mound of snow or even ice.

Originally Posted by Tweaked
Do you have any traction control systems (like ASR)?
the only drive aid that i know i have is ABS.

[QUOTE=hiwords;1036269]that's weird, i've never heard of anything like that. i'd check the tranny and engine mounts first.

is there an easy way to check those to see if they are worn or failing?

Old 02-04-2009, 12:20 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Splinter_Cell
is there an easy way to check those to see if they are worn or failing?
you just have to get under the car and look at them. get a little pry bar and see if you can get the trans to move easily, it shouldnt. if any are cracked, which a few probably are if they have 100+k miles on them, replacing them might help. i replaced all of mine with 034 street density mounts and it was a huge difference.

Quick Reply: Drive Train buck?