B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

door locks and sunroof issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 05:02 AM
1st Gear
Post door locks and sunroof issues

today my door locks decided not to function anymore with the key remote and from inside the car using the door unlock button. My gas tank however remains always unlock which is a good and bad thing. I have to lock and unlock the doors manually and individually, my alarm how ever still works. Is it the vacuum pump that's not functioning properly or is the the convenience control module or both? Also my sunroof doesn't like to close properly, most of the time when i try to close it it gets to about an inch of closing then it would just open again. I checked the rails for any debris or anything that would prevent it form closing but there is nothing that would cause such a problem. Is it the motor that's shot or is it something else. Thanks.

Old 08-23-2008, 09:34 AM
Administrator

I'm stumped on the door locks...do they open and close when you use the convience feature with the key?

As for the sunroof, that sounds like the switch is shot. I understand that to be a common problem on our cars.

Old 08-23-2008, 09:53 AM
Site Moderator

Open up the sunroof switch and clean the contacts. Can you hear your pump trying to operate the locks when you press the button? If so then it's probably a leak, if not then it's proabably the pump or something else.

Old 08-23-2008, 05:43 PM
1st Gear

don't hear the pump on the door locks period, no sound anymore that i'm used to hearing wen i use the remote key to lock the door. i have to use the keyhole to unlock the driverside door and it only open the driver side door and lock the driver side door. There is no pump sound, i went to the trunk and removed the right side lining and located the pump and there is no sound from there. But is there more to it? and not just the pump?

Old 08-23-2008, 10:14 PM
1st Gear

Sometimes I have to turn the sunroof switch back & fourth a couple of times to get it to close. Looks like it's time to clean the switch contacts.