B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Door Alignment

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 12:48 PM
4th Gear
Default Door Alignment

My driver's door doesn't quite close right, like it's out of alignment, causing water to be able to leak in under high pressure (such as a car wash). The door closes and secures fine, but when you look up close, you can tell it doesn't quite close tight enough, like there is a little gap around the top of the door that isn't present on the rest of the doors...

Seems like such a trivial problem since I can't even get the damn thing started right now, but I was wondering if there was an easy way to realign the door. It's just one of those minor nuisances that I would like to get around to sometime.

Old 03-21-2011, 01:34 PM
4th Gear

no ideas?

At least I got the car running again

Old 03-21-2011, 02:16 PM
1st Gear

Maybe it's the door seal itself. Try comparing it with the rear door not only quality but alignment. Being that the front doors are used much more than the rear. As far as the alignment try looking in your side mirror while inside the car and see if there is a hight diff from the rear door. Then go from there for adjustments. Maybe part of the lock mechanism came loose not holding the door as tight as it should.
Hope that helps

Old 03-21-2011, 02:19 PM
1st Gear

When i said quality i ment of the rubber seal it self

Old 03-21-2011, 02:24 PM
Administrator

How's the alignment of the door when it's closed? The window trim on the driver door ideally will line up perfectly with the trim on the rear door. If the driver door is sagging, that trim line won't line up. How does yours look?

Old 03-21-2011, 02:52 PM
Administrator

The hinge bolts on my 97 worked their way loose, causing my driver's door to sag as well as a very similar alignment problem to the one you're describing. I tried several times to realign the door and tighten the bolts but I never did get it quite right.

Old 03-21-2011, 04:43 PM
1st Gear

My guess is that you need to adjust your carrier for your window. East fix to screws front and back and 2 in the door handle.. adjust accordingly might take a few attempts.

Old 03-21-2011, 07:22 PM
2nd Gear

I just tried adjusting both of my front doors because I can hear alot of wind noise at highway speeds and it's pretty simple. Use an M8 triple square bit to loosen the striker bolts and move it inward and upward, tighten and see how it closes. From there just adjust until you have it right. Luckily audi was nice enough to put marks on the striker and body so I know how it was aligned in the beginning if I screw anything up.

Old 03-22-2011, 06:51 AM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by shhmaudi
My guess is that you need to adjust your carrier for your window. East fix to screws front and back and 2 in the door handle.. adjust accordingly might take a few attempts.
It's not the window, it's the door, although the window doesn't roll down either. The damn clip that holds the window to the regulator broke.

I just tried adjusting both of my front doors because I can hear alot of wind noise at highway speeds and it's pretty simple. Use an M8 triple square bit to loosen the striker bolts and move it inward and upward, tighten and see how it closes. From there just adjust until you have it right. Luckily audi was nice enough to put marks on the striker and body so I know how it was aligned in the beginning if I screw anything up.
Sounds good, I'll give that a try. And try 1/4" fish tank air line tubing in the seals of the doors to cut down on the wind noise. It works pretty decent, and I even found black tubing, so you can't even tell it's there.

Jeremy, I got your PM, I'll text you later. I'm not sure how early you get up.

Last edited by bradtyler02; 03-22-2011 at 06:54 AM.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:03 AM
Administrator

Lol I try and get up every day at or before 5am EST.

Quick Reply: Door Alignment