B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Doing my own timing belt HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 09:30 PM
1st Gear
Default Doing my own timing belt HELP!

so I am going to do my own timing belt change on my 2000 a4 1.8t. Me and my buddy are going to try and tackle the job even though we never did this before. We are pretty good with Hondas and he actually still works as a honda mechanic.

My question, is there any special tools that I would specifically need? Or basic tools will do the trick? I printed out two different diy's from audidiy.com and another website that I forget, and they didnt say anything about it. Should I be aware of anything super tricky or have any of you guys that diy had any trouble with the process that I can be aware of to make my job easier?

I think Im going to order the timing kit from ecstuning. Any 2cents would be great. I am going to order the kit this week and start on the project next week. thanks!

Old 12-09-2009, 09:51 PM
2nd Gear

have beer on hand. thats the only specific tool i can think of.
take your time and don't rush. I use the diy from audidiy. they are great write ups and explain everything....and MARK YOUR camshaft and crank position befor you remove your belts and ****.

Old 12-09-2009, 10:02 PM
1st Gear

Good luck! I did mine about a month ago and had no trouble. The only tools needed that may be considered special are Torx bits, unless you are replacing the camshaft seals. But if you have looked at the DIY's then you know what you are getting into. It's really not that bad of a job, I took my time had everything apart on Saturday and finished on Sunday morning working by myself. I bought the full kit from Blauparts.com Make sure to do the water pump internals at the same time, not sure if it is included in the ECStuning kit?

Old 12-10-2009, 03:16 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by TeeterTawter
have beer on hand. thats the only specific tool i can think of.
take your time and don't rush. I use the diy from audidiy. they are great write ups and explain everything....and MARK YOUR camshaft and crank position befor you remove your belts and ****.
Thanks man. Beer does sounds like a plan.

Old 12-10-2009, 03:18 AM
1st Gear

I will check into the ecstuning kit. i believe it does. blauput kit seems like it comes with more items.

there is a blauput tool kit for rent for timing belt job for 350 bucks deposit. but according to you guys, it doesnt look like i need it. I might buy a set of torx bits just to have anyways. thanks for the info!!

Old 12-10-2009, 03:27 AM
1st Gear

yea. ecs tuning is pretty complete as well. water pump and all.

What do you guys think about the crank pully with the kit? ecstuning sells a timing belt kit with an upgraded crank pully. Heres a link

http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B5_A4-...lt_Kit/ES5633/

Old 12-10-2009, 03:28 AM
1st Gear

actually that first link was the timing belt kit.

this is the one with the crank pulley
http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B5_A4-...lt_Kit/ES5593/

Old 12-10-2009, 07:50 AM
3rd Gear

upgraded crank pulley i wouldnt bother unless you want your car a little more peppy but ive done my research atlease for the timing belt on the 2.8l esctuning is deffently the best place and look at where there parts are coming from and blaparts is great too but i believe esc has a ultimate kit that has everything you can think of

Old 12-10-2009, 10:26 AM

I think the blauparts kit comes with coolant and everything else you will need for a very good price, its a good kit.

Old 12-10-2009, 11:26 AM
2nd Gear

I wouldn't trust that ECS pulley.

Quick Reply: Doing my own timing belt HELP!